Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 28th, 2014 18:00

AlienRespawn not detecting the Recovery Partition

I'm going to be upgrading to a SSD, and was checking what my restore options will be on my M17X r3 laptop.

When I open AlienRespawn though, I see an error that AlienRespawn has not been able to detect the Recovery Partition.  It maybe missing or corrupt.

It then says to recover your computer to the original factory state and restore the Recovery Partition.  Use your System Recover Disks.

I have a laptop backup, but I'm not sure if they are recovery disks or not.

I checked and Windows does detect the RECOVERY volume.  The status is Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition).  Capacity 19.53 Free space 13.16 GB.

Does that look correct?

Is there anything I can do to help AlienRespawn find the partition, or am I going to have to use a different process when it is time for a reinstall?

Thanks!

1 Message

May 20th, 2014 19:00

I did everything above and it still got the same error. I then l notice on the free version it will not creat a new backup so I bought the premium and it works now.

1.8K Posts

Most likely the partition got was never set up correctly or was in fact corrupted, but there’s no other way for AlienRespawn to pull it up.

If you’re going to upgrade to an SSD, you won’t able to use AlienRespawn to install the Operating System on a different drive anyway because it will only restore the HDD were the partition was created.

You’ll have to do a clean installation using the Recovery Discs these are the ones we sent with the computer: the Windows 7 Recovery Disc and the Resource DVD. That last one is for the drivers, when you install them make sure you follow the correct order according to the video above.

Once you've finished installing everything, install AlienRespawn and when you run it the first time it will create a new Recovery Partition.

3 Posts

I'm having the same issue on my M18X. Love for someone to answer this one as I have not been able to locate anything regarding this problem.

5 Posts

April 1st, 2014 10:00

I have a new X51 R2 and I'm running Win8.1 on a new SSD I installed replacing the original HDD.  After I upgraded to the SSD, AlienRespawn wouldn't install but after the  upgrade to Win8.1, it installed and runs but I get the same error message that it cannot set up the backup feature because it cannot locate the Recovery Partition.  I am willing to do a clean install to rebuild the partition but I did not receive a Win8 Recovery Disc.  Can you tell me how I can do a clean installation to rebuild the Recovery Partition so AlienRespawn will run properly and set up a system backup?

Thanks!

1.8K Posts

April 1st, 2014 16:00

Hi!

Follow these steps: 

1. Here's a video with the step by step instructions on how to install Windows 8. If you didn't receive a copy of the Windows Recovery Disc or USB, you can ask for one from Technical Support. Send an email to AWSocialMedia@dell.com with your request.
  2. Once you do the Windows 8 clean installation, install the drivers in the correct order explained in this article and upgrade to Windows 8.1.
  3. Make sure you install the AlienRespawn version compatible with Windows 8.1 and run it so it can create the recovery image.

Let me know how it goes!

No Events found!