Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

RO

March 26th, 2018 07:00

Alienware X51 Bios won't Update

X51 running on windows 10 pro, tried to update Bios on numerous occassions but it just wont let me, i am currently on version A06, when i try to install A14 it says i must update to A07 first, so i have downloaded A07 but when i try to install i give it permission and then it pops up and says " please start application again" so i cant upgrade any Bios, Any help please would be really appreciated. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 26th, 2018 09:00

Hi @Roy-O,

What's your system revision? X51 R1,R2,R3?

1 Message

April 17th, 2018 18:00

Hi, I'm having the same trouble, but from A03 to A06. A14 runs but says to update to A06 + A07 first.

I get the same message 'please start the application again'

I have also tried A03 again but a message says 'file does not exist'.

Trying to upgrade the graphics card to a GTX 1050ti. 

Also in BIOS, I don't have the option to disable secure boot, is this to do with what BIOS version I have?

Any suggestions?

Much Appreciated

1 Message

July 28th, 2018 10:00

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue as the author of this post. I am running on an X51 R1 currently at A01 BIOS version. Any further update provides the message stating to start app again, except for the A14 which asks me to install A06 first. 

Any ideas?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 28th, 2018 11:00

@Scorpion2089 wrote:

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue as the author of this post. I am running on an X51 R1 currently at A01 BIOS version. Any further update provides the message stating to start app again, except for the A14 which asks me to install A06 first. 

Any ideas?

Try next consecutive one (A02, A03, etc.) from Windows Safe-Mode ...

... or DOS:

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6071757/highlight/true#M1311

December 8th, 2018 21:00

This is discussed a lot across multiple forums, but no one ever posts what they did to upgrade or they simply give up. Here's the process:

1. Get a USB thumb drive. Make sure it is 4GB or larger.

2. Download all the BIOS files you need. Follow this progression A01 > A03 > A06 > A07 > A14 (start wherever you are in the chain).

3. Grab the latest version of Rufus and install it. As of this writing it is v3.

4. Format the thumb drive with Rufus with UEFI/BIOS and FreeDOS selected as the boot options and format with FAT32.

5. Rename the each of the BIOS files to shorter names like A06 to make it easier on yourself later.

6. Copy the BIOS files to the root area of the thumb drive.

7. Plug the thumb drive into one of the USB ports on the back of the computer (I don't think you can boot from the front ones).

8. Restart your PC and press F2 at the splash screen to go into the BIOS settings.

9. In the BIOS you need to make two changes: 1. Change the boot protocol from UEFI to Legacy. You will be shown a caution screen that this may damage your OS. Make sure you do not allow your computer to boot to your operating system during this process. The steps ahead will cover this. 2. Change the boot order to make your USB thumb drive first.

10. Exit the BIOS and your computer will boot to DOS from the thumb drive. Type "dir" to see your BIOS files. Type the name you gave the BIOS file and press Enter. The BIOS will begin updating. When finished the computer will shutdown, power up, shutdown and power up again. Repeat this process if you need to install multiple updates, your computer will keep booting into DOS automatically..

11. After you have installed your last update, be ready to press F2 to go into the BIOS again. Leave the thumb drive in place in case you miss the key press. Reboot to get out of DOS if you need to (or just power the system off). Press F2 to get into the BIOS, change Legacy back to UEFI and set the boot order back to what you had previously. Save and exit the BIOS and remove the thumb drive. Done.

No Events found!