Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 6th, 2019 20:00

XPS 15 9550, annoying horizontal purple lines

My XPS 15 9550 laptop is having a weird and annoying issue.

From time to time, horizontal lines appear on the screen making the computer unusable at all until the lines disappear after minutes or hours. This start randomly during the day. Unfortunately, this started to happen days after the warranty expires.

The computer has Windows 10 installed and its Processor is an Intel i7 6700 @ 2.60GHz

I tried to update as much as I could, including video card drivers, BIOS, etc. But unfortunately the issue persists.

The BIOS was upgraded to 1.9.0.

The computer has NVidia GeForce GTX 960M (v 24.21.13.9836) and Intel HD Graphics 530 (v 23.20.16.4973).

I tried to connect the computer to a separate (external) monitor and everything looks good there, so I believe this has more something to do with the screen.

When the horizontal purple lines appear, I only see a visible part of the screen on top (a band of about 2 inches from the top of the screen).  The remaining part of the screen start flickering with the horizontal lines.

When I try to take screenshots, the screenshot displays the correct screen (no lines), even if the horizontal lines are visible to the user in the screen.

In some cases, purple columns also appear on the affected area, just like it is shown in the following picture:

IMG_20190406_232241977c.jpg

This is becoming totally annoying. I am looking for an advice or some hints that could help me to fix this issue so I can start being productive again with this computer.  Thank you in advance.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

May 8th, 2019 07:00

If this does not appear on an external monitor, it would be possible that the LCD is having the issue, and not the GPU. 

Since your warranty has expired, I will be unable to assist further.  Hopefully another Forum member or Rockstar will be able to assist.  You can always contact the Out of Warranty team for a paid resolution, or take it to a local repair shop.

6 Posts

May 7th, 2019 14:00

Am I the only Dell customer who has this LCD problem with XPS 9550?

6 Posts

May 8th, 2019 05:00

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I was able to run Dell SupportAssist. There are no errors reported (all green ticks).

I also tried to make all possible upgrades (upgraded BIOS and display drivers).

The lines appear randomly, doesn't matter if it is using battery or AC charger. Some days these lines appear and stay most of the time on screen, other days the lines won't appear. The only thing that helped a bit to restore the view when the lines appear is to change the screen colors to gray scale (using Ctrl-Win-C) and then the horizontal weird lines start to progresivelly disappear. 

I also tried to open the laptop and re-connected the LCD cable again, but this didn't help.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

May 8th, 2019 05:00

Hi jmuy,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Have you been able to run a systems diagnostics and a video diagnostic of your system?

Please run Dell SupportAssist, make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.  

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

How to Troubleshoot Display or Video Issues on Dell Laptop LCD Panel

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

No Events found!