Start a Conversation

Unsolved

30 Posts

April 7th, 2021 15:00

Need to update BIOS, NO BATTERY error!

Hi,

I need to update BIOS with L702X_A19.exe but I'm getting a "no battery" error.

Any idea how to bypass this?

Since the battery was old was no more than of a fire hazard than anything. I don't need one anyway since this laptop is permanently plugged to the main power through a rather very big Uniteraped Power Supply. So not likely to lose power during the update and brick the computer.

Even if I'd brick it is my computer and I don't want to be patronized by DELL. A simple warning should suffice and from there the update should proceed, but seems that DELL insists on the battery thing.

Must be a way around this.

Any ideas on how to bypass this endless loop battery warning? 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 8th, 2021 11:00

" Even if I'd brick it is my computer and I don't want to be patronized by DELL "

------------------------------------

Please list Dell model number and version of windows. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

How to find the product model of your Dell computer | Dell US

The members of this community forum, need this information to be able to help you.

In the meantime, Dell laptop must have battery installed and charged to at least 10% before beginning a BIOS update. Dell recommends running the laptop on AC power before proceeding with the update process. Dell does this to make sure the computer motherboard isn't brick during the BIOS update.

To answer your question: No, there isn't any other way to install a BIOS update without battery charge to at least 10%.  You can check Dell com to see if there's a battery for your computer in stock:

Battery & Adapter Selector | Dell USA

Or..

Purchase battery from either Ebay, Amazon or Parts People com

Dell Laptop Parts | Dell Parts | Dell Laptop Repair | Dell Repair (parts-people.com)

30 Posts

April 8th, 2021 16:00

XPS L702X, WIN10

It can't be that hard to understand that I don't want to fork more money because, or, for Dell! I paid once, the device is in my possession. Why do I have to purchase parts in order to keep using the device that already paid for since it requires no repairs? 

It is out of warranty, ages ago, if I want to blow it up is my choice, isn't it? Or do I have to buy a pacifier from Dell every time I turn my computer on since Dell does such a good job of protecting me from ...err...me? I have been around computers from before Win95 I'm pretty sure, I don't need "taking care" from Dell.

I also don't care how apocalyptically dangerous for humanity Dell thinks it is to update the BIOS, it is just a computer!  I understand Dell's advice, and a warning should've been enough, but since I run through a UPS, as I already said, I'll survive. 

Now back to my original question. I need to update my BIOS in order to enable Bitencryption in Win10. I don't have nor need a battery since this laptop is actually a "desktop", if you will.

30 Posts

April 10th, 2021 16:00

There was a solution around this. Modify BIOS file, take out ridiculous battery restriction, install BIOS file. Install, restart, and all, under 55 seconds. It really felt soooooo dangerous! Although I was shaaaaking in my boots, the best part, I didn't have to buy anything! 

No Events found!