Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 25th, 2018 10:00

Upgrade for Dell XPS 8910 i5 6400

Hello,

I was able to get the XPS 8910 i5 6400 in a storage Auction...the computer was in the back...so it was a bonus when I found it.

• Intel Core i5-6400 Processor (Quad-Core, 2.7GHz, 6MB Cache)
  • 8GB DDR4 System Memory
  • 1TB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
  • Windows 10 PRO, 
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 730, Black...(this was removed)

The computer is brand new on the outside and on the inside, the only thing that was missing was the graphics card that had been removed.

I Moved Windows 10 Pro to a Samsung SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76E500B/AM

I hooked up the computer thru the HDMI port so I could see it and everything works perfectly.

I will be using this computer for the following things:

1. Adobe Illustrator
  2. Adobe Cloud CC
  3. Adobe LightRoom Classic
  4. Corel Draw x8
  5. Adobe PhotoShop
  6. And occasionally editing personal Go Pro Videos just for fun.
  7. Both Adobe and Corel are updating monthly via the monthly subscription.

I will typically have both AI and Corel open at the same time with various different designs opened in each. 

I don't do any gaming at all, just vector graphics and occasional hobby photos for family and friends in Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom. I would like better speed in Photoshop CC when working with phots.

Does anyone have an idea of what would be the best thing to upgrade on the computer?

1. The first thing I was going to do was upgrade to 16gb of Ram, should I go to 32 GB or higher
  2. My HDMI monitor works fine, do I really need to get a dedicated video card for the one that was taken out. If I should what is one to look at knowing that I won't be needing it for gaming graphics or 3D

I really just want to be able to have multiple programs opened up (Corelx8/Adobe) and not have the slow load times that my old computer had. 

Since I got this computer for basically free I don't have a problem spending the money on RAM or other things.

Thanks for the help.

TJ

10 Elder

• 

24.9K Posts

February 25th, 2018 10:00

You absolutely will not want to run those applications on the Intel GPU aboard the processor.  You need a discrete video card - it doesn't need to be a gaming class card - even one in the $200 range (or mid-range these days) will run those apps acceptably.

Video/photo editing needs as much RAM as you can throw at it.  16 G is fine -- particularly given that RAM right now is fairly expensive (particularly the DDR4 RAM this system needs).

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

February 25th, 2018 11:00

If you install RAM note that there are errors in the service manual. RAM should be installed in pairs with similar colored securing tabs. The Table and Note in the service manual have errors and do not match the picture and designations of the motherboard. Also I believe the Table 2 memory configuration matrix does not show all possible memory configurations that will work. For example, it only shows one 32 GB configuration and I am using one that has two 16 GB memory modules.

Since you do not need a gaming class video card this may not be a problem, but be aware that the power supply is 460 watts. Also be aware that there may be problems installing some video cards. See this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8910-AMD-R7-250E-BIOS-changes-to-make-the-video-card-work/td-p/5876924

4 Posts

February 25th, 2018 16:00

Thanks

Could you tell me why I wouldn't want to run the programs on the Intel GPU, I'm ignorant to the reason why. Would it ruin the board or just be very choppy and slow. Not questioning your opinion, I would just like to educate myself.

Secondly, would I be better off to just buy a new computer? The unit ended up costing me 150.00 dollars, it looks like I can get a nice new Dell XPS with i7 for around 1000.00, my budget for a new computer is 950.00-1000.00

I don't do design work full time and don't want to spend more than that.

I paid 150.00 for the computer once I piece out the storage unit...and would have 200 for video card another 150-200 for RAM...150.00 for an SSD drive.

I thought this might do the trick, but maybe this is not a good computer for graphics...where would my money be best spent if I upgraded the 8910 for what I will be doing with it or is really not a worth upgrading it.

Is there a particular video card you would recommend.

Thanks for the info

TJ

4 Posts

February 25th, 2018 16:00

Thank you for the info

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

February 25th, 2018 17:00

I am not sure why the Intel GPU is not adequate since you are not gaming. It seems to be able to handle the resolution and video playback requirements for picture/video editing. Perhaps ejn63 can answer that.

For picture/video editing you will definitely benefit from an i7 CPU and more memory, but I think a new XPS will cost you close to $1200 and that is without the additional memory you may want. If you don't have to upgrade to discrete graphics you might consider replacing the CPU with an i7-6700, but I would try the i5 first with the other upgrades (RAM & SSD).

10 Elder

• 

24.9K Posts

February 25th, 2018 18:00

All of those applications are graphics-intensive - if they run at all with just the Intel GPU, it won't be at an acceptable level of performance.

The i5 with a decent, mid-range GPU will outrun an i7 with just integrated graphics -- the OS alone offloads work to the GPU, and the Adobe and Corel apps will need even more graphics horsepower.

Here's Adobe's take on the GPU

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

February 26th, 2018 04:00

I don't agree with the statement that the i5 will outrun the i7 with just integrated graphics. The integrated GPU in both the I5 & i7 are exactly the same but the i7 has hyper-threading technology, clocked faster, and has more cache memory. 

10 Elder

• 

24.9K Posts

February 26th, 2018 05:00

That's not what I wrote - I said that an i5 with a decent, mid-range GPU in the system would outrun an i7 system using only the integrated video - which it will.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to run Photoshop, Creative Cloud, Corel Draw, etc. using integrated video - the performance will be absolutely awful - even with the fastest i7 CPU out there.

It's the GPU that makes or breaks photo or video editing - not the CPU.

There's a reason why Intel is now licensing AMD's Radeon graphics for some of its CPUs -- and it's because that for all its prowess at designing CPUs, Intel can't compete with either AMD or nVidia in GPU design.

4 Posts

February 26th, 2018 07:00

what graphics card do you recommend that is around 150-200.

Do you actually think it is worth upgrading or just buy a better new unit?

Or if I have the 16gb ram and new graphics card this unit will have a decent ability for the programs to run.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

24.9K Posts

February 26th, 2018 16:00

Right now, video cards are being driven up in price by cryptocurrency mining - you can likely find an nVidia 1050 card or an AMD RX560 card for $150-200.  There's no harm in trying the system with the integrated GPU only -- but be prepared to need a video card.

No Events found!