Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2006 02:00

"WordPerfect 12" Problems

I have been having problems with WordPerfect 12, version 12. I have created documents in the Microsoft Word mode (of the WordPerfect 12) on my Dell Inspiron B130 notebook and saved those on my C:\ drive. I have also created Microsoft Word documents on a computer (which has Microsoft Word software) at the public library, saving those on a flash drive, and then saved those on my notebook’s C:\ drive. (The WordPerfect 12 was pre-installed by Dell in the notebook; WordPerfect 12 can create and accept files in the Microsoft Word mode; I do not have Microsoft Word in my notebook.) Later when I open one of those Microsoft Word document files from my C:\ drive, it brings up on the notebook’s screen the document with a different format or configuration, i.e., the first line of the text of the document is on page 1, the second line of the text of the document is on page 2, and so on. As a result, the ‘new’ document on the screen is many pages longer. I checked the margins using the Page Setup, and those are one inch all around as in the original document. I am unable to delete the blank space below the one line of text on a page because the cursor skips to the text on the next page. This has messed up the whole document in my C:\ drive; the same thing has happened with the other Microsoft Word documents in my C:\ drive.

The same thing also happens when I open the document files from my flash drive onto my notebook. But when I later open those files from my flash drive on a computer at the public library, the format of the files has not changed and it is the same as the original format, and the documents are okay. If I later open the Microsoft Word files from my C:\ drive, the problem is still there; this means all those Microsoft Word files in my C:\ drive are messed up.

Sometimes I have problems with the cursor position; the cursor locates itself on the text some distance away from the location where it is actually supposed to be. This causes problems when editing the document.

Can anyone help me with these frustrating problems?  I am worried about using the WordPerfect 12 software that is in my notebook.  I would appreciate any help or information as to what I should do about these problems. Thank you.

Khann

2.5K Posts

July 25th, 2006 11:00

I had the same problem.  Sometimes it helps to have Word save the files in RTF format.  But if there's unusual formatting in the document (like a newsletter) then it's still a pain to switch between programs.

I finally uninstalled Wordperfect and installed Open Office.  It's a free office package (word processor, spreadsheet and presentation program) from www.openoffice.org.  It seems to be a lot more compatible with Word and the Calc spreasheet works with Excel files.  I really haven't used the presentation program (it's like Powerpoint).

Dave

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 25th, 2006 16:00

I've never had 100% compatibility with WP.  Word files seem to always have some type of formatting or data problem.  I've never tried an RTF format but that may be the answer without some of the special Word formatting.

4 Posts

July 26th, 2006 04:00

Dave:

Thank you for your quick reply.  My documents are usually plain letters.  I have tried the RTF format also.  I have saved documents in both the Word and RTF formats on my flash drive using a computer at the public library, but ran into same problems when I transferred those documents into my notebook.  The WordPerfect 12 has given me problems.  I will try the Open Office software as you suggested.  Thank you for your suggestion.

Khann

4 Posts

July 26th, 2006 04:00

Fireberd:

Thank you for your quick reply.  I have tried the RTF format also; I have saved documents in the RTF format also on my flash drive using a computer at the public library, but ran into same problems when I transferred those documents into my notebook.  The WordPerfect 12 has given me problems.  Thank you for your reply.

Khann

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 26th, 2006 13:00

Another option is to save the file as an ASCII (unformatted or "text") file.  You will lose any formatting you do with WP but the data (text) should all be there and you can import that into MS Word.  You would have to do any formatting after you imported the file.  Or, if the public PC has the MS WordPad or Notepad you could save it with one of those programs, which will save programs as "txt" (ASCII) formats which are not a problem importing into MSWord.

4 Posts

July 27th, 2006 05:00

Fireberd:

I will also try the "txt" format method.  Thank you for your suggestion.

Khann

No Events found!