Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 4th, 2005 14:00

activex control

I keep getting a pop up window that says " A script is accessing some software ( An ActiveX control ) on this page which has been marked safe for scripting. Do you want to allow this  YES or NO
this comes up every time my screen changes from one program to another what can be done ?
Thanks

532 Posts

September 4th, 2005 14:00

ActiveX is a part of MSIE which allows full Windows programs to run from inside your web browser. These programs, known as "ActiveX Controls," can do anything a normal program can do on your computer, so be careful. It is recommend to set up MSIE so that it will prompt you to download signed ActiveX controls, and to not download unsigned controls at all. This allows you to decide when to run an ActiveX control from a company. Do not run ActiveX controls from untrusted or unknown sources, or you could wind up with a virus.

These are the recommend settings for ActiveX in MSIE:

1. Download signed ActiveX controls: PROMPT
2. Download unsigned ActiveX controls: DISABLE
3. Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: PROMPT
4. Run ActiveX controls: ENABLE*
5. Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting: ENABLE

You can control these settings by going to the Tools menu, select Internet Options (or "Options" on some earlier versions of MSIE). Then select the Security tab, and press the "Custom Levels" button. Scroll down that list to find the settings above. The wording of the options may be slightly different.

*Note: To be completely safe, you can disable ActiveX by setting option #4 above to DISABLE. However, many pages will annoy you with a popup window saying they can't be displayed properly, because the popular Macromedia Flash software is an ActiveX control.

September 17th, 2005 12:00

I followed your instructions and I am still getting the "Page cannot be displayed" screen when I try to get into a secured link.  I also get a yellow alert from MSIE that says, "your current security settings prohibit running Axtive X controls on this page.  As a result the page may not display"

Do you have any other ideas? 

I tried calling Dell and the girl told me she could fix it but "my service agreement doesn't cover it so it would cost me $99".  I do not know a lot about computers but she told me that she could fix it   I have been trying and trying to find someone who can help me.  AOL told me it is definately a DELL problem with Internet Explorer.  

I don't think I would ever buy another DELL product after this one.:smileymad:
No Events found!