Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MB

January 20th, 2006 00:00

Xp pro vs Xp media center

My xps came with windows xp pro,  i reformated the drive and reinstalled windows xp to get rid of all the extra dell b$, it also came with xp media center edition not installed but the cd was in the box dell screw up. i called them,they said keep it, use it if i want. my question is, is xp media edition any good, never used it,  i dont know anything about it.

16 Posts

January 20th, 2006 01:00

Thanks joe53

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

January 20th, 2006 01:00

XP MCE is basically XP Pro, but with added media features related to viewing /recording TV, organising your pictures, mp3's and videos. If you have a home PC not connected to a domain, then you lose nothing by installing MCE. You can read more about its features here: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_mce2005.asp

Is it any good? It works as advertised for me. But if you don't need or think you would use the media features, there is no need to install it. And unless you have a good TV tuner card installed, you won't be able to use many of its features.

25 Posts

January 21st, 2006 20:00

Joe53,

Hi, Everytime I try to go to http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_mce2005.asp  a small window pops up saying "out of memory at line 5 in explorer" and the screen/system freezes.

Any ideas as to how to correct this issue?

Thanks much!

Sincerely,

Cin

PS:  If XP MCE is basically XP Pro, why does Dells website offer to have you upgrade to XP Pro for an additional $100 or more from the included XP MCE??  Aren't they therefore charging you/us twice for the OS?

If I didn't get a TV card in my E-310 and am NOT really going to use the PC for TV recording, can I just install a regular copy of XP, but how/where do I get the program that lets me play DVDs on the pc?

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

January 21st, 2006 21:00

Cin:

I'm not sure why you get that "out of memory" error. but you might try deleting your IE browser cache by clicking Tools>Internet Options>General tab>Delete files... button.

And I have no idea why Dell would charge you more for XP Pro when your system comes with MCE, but I can assure you that MCE does have all the functions of XP Pro except for the ability to join a domain (seldom needed if you are a home user). Just one of those marketing things, I guess.

As for DVD, if you purchased a DVD-Rom or DVD-RW drive with your E-310, I should think they would have included the software to use it.

No Events found!