Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2005 17:00

Worth Upgrading My Workhourse Dimension XPS t600r?

Would like advise on upgrading memory to my Dell XPS T600r.  I keep up with security upgrades and system maintenance.  It's almost 5 years old and reliable, but intermittently slowing when surfing the net ... sometimes badly and I need to restart the computer.  The computer has the original confirguration from Dell, 128K memory.  I would like to get another 6 months to a year with the computer before I buy a new one.  Is it worth the $75 to $100 to upgrade, or would you advise a new computer?  Many thanks!

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

February 9th, 2005 19:00

SSTom,

The most logical upgrade would probably be to Windows XP. If you chose to do that you would require a minimum of an addition 128MB RAM ($48) for a total of 256MB and a copy of Windows XP Upgrade ($96 for Home Edition). Since a midrange Dimension (4700) is currently avaiable for around $650, it would seem that limping along with your current system for six months then buying a new system would be the more cost-effective solution.

2.5K Posts

February 9th, 2005 19:00

I depends on what you do and what you want to do.  I still have an old XPS D300, Pentium II 300 MHZ 384 MBytes RAM, that runs Windows XP, but I do very little on it now.  Its your call.

2.5K Posts

February 9th, 2005 20:00

I am not even sure if a memory upgrade would improve performance.  Since you are experience periodic slow downs,  maybe a good sytem cleanup, i.e. virus and malware scan will allow you to keep your current configuration for another year.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

February 9th, 2005 21:00

Hi:

I'm still using this 6 year old XPS T600, and it still reliably performs like day one, meeting all
my needs. I found that adding memory (now 640 RAM) was a useful upgrade, but probably excessive.
Unless you are a gamer, a bit more memory is a cheap upgrade worth trying.

As far as speed goes, I think keeping current with all the anti-malware tools out there is the
best investment I made (especially since most tools have a free version). I haven't noticed any
performance slowdowns. I intend to keep this old workhorse going as long as I can.

Good luck!

7 Posts

hello,
i would say that a ram upgrade wont help you much on that system.  if you upgrade to win. Xp on that system you might be dissapointed on the performance.  i would suggest a new computer,

-ksukats57

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

SSTom said, "but intermittently slowing when surfing the net ... sometimes badly and I need to restart the computer."

This indicates a resource problem which cannot be resolved by simply adding RAM since Windows 9X limits the user to 64K of resources regardless of installed RAM. With an OS which can make all RAM available (XP or 2000) additional RAM would make a difference. Minimizing background programs and routinely removing malware, as mentioned, will give the best chance of continuing reliability. (My seven year old XPS D266 is still working fine with 128MB RAM, only upgraded from 64MB when one application ran with glacial slowness.)

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

February 9th, 2005 23:00

Denny is correct, of course, and I didn't mean to imply that more RAM would cure a resource problem,
nor speed up internet surfing.(It did help performance related to some of my apps.) My point was that an
XPS T600 was not per se an impediment to reasonably fast surfing, or to performance in general.

As far as upgrading to XP goes, when I had my system analysed for compatability with XP, I found that
most of my peripherals would have to be replaced, as compatible drivers were just not extant. I was
reluctant to abandon perfectly good working hardware in order to have a more stable OS- but this was
a judgement call, and your somewhat newer system might fare better.

32 Posts

May 19th, 2005 13:00

I replaced the CPU with a Powerleap 1.4 Ghz and installed Win XP Home, maxed out memory, added a second HD and my XPS t600r is running like a champ. BTW, flashed the BIOS to a newer version.

Its not a speed demon like the P4 I just built but the thing runs and is very stable. Have not had to reboot once.

Just remembered, upgraded the video card as well.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!