Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 28th, 2006 11:00

Windows Media Player is not installed and must be reinstalled.

I am running Windows XP Pro

When I try to play a video from, for example, yahoo.com The error message comes up:

Windows Media Player is not installed and must be reinstalled.

Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Website?

When I click yes and try to install and run it, it says:

A more recent version of Windows Media Player is already installed.

A more recent version of Windows Media Player is already running on your computer. Setup cannot continue.

I went to the Control Panel, then to Add or Remove Programs, then to Add/Remove Windows components. I unchecked everything except for the Windows Media Player and thought I removed it.

When I restarted my computer the icon for Windows Internet Explorer was gone and I couldn't get to Outlook Express. I was able to get to the internet through a shortcut for Windows updates and tried to install Windows Media Player 10 again and the same message came up:

A more recent version of Windows Media Player is already running on your computer. Setup cannot continue.

So I went to System restore and went back a couple of days at least get my Outlook and Internet Explorer shortcut back. And that is where I am. I also have WindowsMediaCenter and when I try to play a video on that you can hear it but the screen is black. Can anyone help?

Robin

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

March 28th, 2006 21:00

Answered in your post in Windows XP.

8 Posts

I do have Windows media Center but my computer wants to use WMP10 when I play videos

8 Posts

Tried that but in my control panel I do not have WMP10
The only place I can find it is under Add/Remove Window components

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

March 28th, 2006 22:00

@colwell wrote:
Tried that but in my control panel I do not have WMP10
The only place I can find it is under Add/Remove Window components

colwell:

I think you must have misread my instructions. You do not uninstall WMP10 from anywhere: you uninstall the hotfixes for WMP10, in the Control panel/Add or Remove Programs (Not the Add/Remove Windows components. Make sure "show updates" is checked at the top). Then download a fresh copy of WMP10 from MS, and install it over itself.

8 Posts

March 29th, 2006 10:00

I looked more closely at my computer info and I have Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Sorry I sound so stupid-the computer world has bypassed me.

Anyway.....back to my problem. When I go to the Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (Not the Add/Remove Windows components). I check the show updates. But my Windows Media Player 10 does not show up here. The only things that say hotfix have a Windows XP in front of them. So, assuming I don't have WMP10 I try to download it from the website and it again says:

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

March 29th, 2006 22:00

The version of MCE should not make a difference. I wonder if you have corrupted WMP hotfixes.

Try going to the MS update site, and download any critical updates offered for XP MCE and/or WMP. Then see if they show up in Add Or Remove. If so, uninstall them, and try downloading WMP again.

8 Posts

March 30th, 2006 20:00

see below, i hit enetr before i wrote anything

Message Edited by colwell on 03-30-2006 04:58 PM

8 Posts

March 30th, 2006 20:00

If you were in front of me Joe53 I'd plant a big KISS on you. Thank-you for helping me fix that!!
No Events found!