Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2008 00:00

Windows Installer Cleanup Utilitiy

I have a new Dell XPS 420 running under VISTA XP2.  I tried to install an older program even though I figured it would not work.  The installation hung, so I cancelled it.  It did load the program and put a shortcut on the desktop.  I tried uninstalling it via the Control Program uninstall feature, but it said it could not read the install.log.  It was recommended that I use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to get rid of the program, so I downloaded it.  When I run the installer cleanup utility, the program is not listed.  How can I get rid of this old program preferably without having to go into the registry?

Thanks for any suggestions.

12.7K Posts

August 28th, 2008 01:00

1. Try to reinstall the program again, if it installs correctly you can now remove it using add/remove programs

2. Or just Delete the folder with the program name in C:/Program Files, there may be another one in C:/Program Files/Common Files, and possible another in My Documents somewhere.

The folder either has the name of the actual program or the name of the company that made the program.

Once you know the name of the Program Files folder that contains the program, you can search your hard drive for the rest. Then delete the icon from your desktop. If it put an entry in your Start/All Programs list, you can right click on it and select delete.

No need to mess with the registry.

Just so you know, that installer cleanup utility is for cleaning up installers/uninstallers, not the programs associated with them, just the opposite of what you were told. It does not remove programs, only the installers that are associated with installed programs.

It should only be used when you have an issue of an installer running automatically when you open a program, a rare issue.

189 Posts

August 28th, 2008 19:00

I appreciate your suggestions very much.  I did try yesterday to re-install the program, but I got the same results as the first attempt.  Thanks for the help.

No Events found!