Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2006 17:00

Video Error problem. Please help me. :-(

Media Center on my computer is not able to play videos or DVDs. The screen always gives me the VIDEO ERROR message when I try to play videos on Media Center, and it gives me glitched DVD playback where the window has a "black block" that constantly fades up and down while I'm playing a DVD movie. Here are screen shots of these problems...

When I play a DVD, this happens...

Image hosting by Photobucket

When I play a video on Media Center, this happens...

Image hosting by Photobucket

I saw a previous problem similar to mine posted on this message board. I tried reinstalling Windows XP MCE and installing an update for Cyberlink PowerDVD, but the problem did not go away.

If anyone can help me out, that would be much appreciated.

108 Posts

March 12th, 2006 18:00

@joe53 wrote:
Have you been to the MS Update (or Windows Update) site to get all the updates for MCE?

I forgot to mention that I already tried to do that this morning. When I tried to install Q815487_WxP_SP2_i386_ENU.exe, I got a message that said it couldn't continue with the update and I really don't remember the details. At the moment, I'm not at my computer. I'll try doing that again when I get back to my computer tonight, but I'm pretty sure that trying Microsoft's update for MCE probably will not work again...

Any other advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know any other people on this forum who could help me out I would like to try sending messages to them to try and figure out the solution to my problem. Thanks again.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

March 12th, 2006 18:00

Have you been to the MS Update (or Windows Update) site to get all the updates for MCE?

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

March 12th, 2006 20:00

You previously said you "tried" to reinstall MCE. When you reinstall your operating system, all your updates are lost, and must be reinstalled from the update site, which should tell you which updates you need. I do think that there was some update awhile ago that addressed your specific problem.

I looked at the details for KB815487, and doubt that its lack is the source of your problem. If you go into your control panel/Add or Remove Programs list, it should tell you which updates for MCE you have (make sure that 'Show updates' is checked at the top.) In particular, you should have Rollup2 for MCE, plus one other subsequent patch, KB908250, plus the January 2006 Update Rollup KB912067.

Message Edited by joe53 on 03-12-2006 06:02 PM

108 Posts

March 12th, 2006 21:00

@joe53 wrote:

You previously said you "tried" to reinstall MCE. When you reinstall your operating system, all your updates are lost, and must be reinstalled from the update site, which should tell you which updates you need. I do think that there was some update awhile ago that addressed your specific problem.

I looked at the details for KB815487, and doubt that its lack is the source of your problem. If you go into your control panel/Add or Remove Programs list, it should tell you which updates for MCE you have (make sure that 'Show updates' is checked at the top.) In particular, you should have Rollup2 for MCE, plus one other subsequent patch.

Yes I have Rollup2 for MCE. The installation DVD packed with my computer is marked as Rollup2 for MCE. I'll definitely give those other updates a try. Thanks again for the advice. I'll post the results of those updates as soon as I get to my computer.

108 Posts

March 12th, 2006 22:00

@joe53 wrote:

I looked at the details for KB815487, and doubt that its lack is the source of your problem. If you go into your control panel/Add or Remove Programs list, it should tell you which updates for MCE you have (make sure that 'Show updates' is checked at the top.) In particular, you should have Rollup2 for MCE, plus one other subsequent patch, KB908250, plus the January 2006 Update Rollup KB912067.

Message Edited by joe53 on 03-12-2006 06:02 PM

I couldn't find Media Center in "Add/Remove Programs". All I could find out about my Media Center is the version number through the Media Center settings, which is "Version:5.1.2715.2773 (xpsp(wmbla).051011-0745) Update Rollup 2". I tried both KB908250 and KB912067. Both gave me error messages. Here are the messages...

"KB908250 Setup Error

Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install KB908250 failed. For More details check the Log File c:\windows\KB908250.log"

"KB912067 Setup Error

Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install KB912067 failed. For More details check the Log File c:\windows\KB912067.log"

I checked the logs for both of them. I couldn't really see what prerequisites they were referring to in either of those notepad files.

Now I'm truly feeling a bit frustrated at this problem. I really need help to fix this and I refuse to give up. The last thing I want to do is turn to Dell tech support representatives...

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

March 13th, 2006 00:00

If you already have MCE Update Rollup2, I'm not sure what other prerequisites are needed to download those other 2 updates.

One possibility is that you don't have Microsoft.Net Framework installed, which is required for MCE. Do you see any entries for this in Add/Remove? The latest version is 2.0. The other possibilty is that you lack some Windows Media Player updates. Have you been able to install any of these?

108 Posts

March 13th, 2006 02:00

@joe53 wrote:

If you already have MCE Update Rollup2, I'm not sure what other prerequisites are needed to download those other 2 updates.

One possibility is that you don't have Microsoft.Net Framework installed, which is required for MCE. Do you see any entries for this in Add/Remove? The latest version is 2.0. The other possibilty is that you lack some Windows Media Player updates. Have you been able to install any of these?

The good news is that I do see Microsoft.Net Framework installed. According to my Add/Remove section, I only have version 1.1 installed. Right now my Windows Media Player is version 10, so I think that it might not be a problem. I'm going to check if there is any way I can update my Microsoft.Net Framework to 2.0. I'll post the results of this attempt soon.

108 Posts

March 13th, 2006 22:00

*sighs*

I installed Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0 and tried installing those 2 MCE updates again, and they both gave me the same error messages as before. I don't know what to do anymore. If anyone else has advice or solutions... please help me. I really don't want to talk to a Dell tech support representative. I'd rather shoot myself in the foot. 

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

March 13th, 2006 23:00

Sorry that didn't work.

I've never reinstalled MCE, but I rather suspect that the order in which you re-install the updates is important. The only thing I can suggest is that you go into Add/Remove, uninstall  whatever updates you find there (for both MCE and for WMP) revisit the MS Update site, and re-download/install all updates in the order they are offered.

Hopefully someone with experience will jump in here...

108 Posts

March 14th, 2006 03:00

@joe53 wrote:

Sorry that didn't work.

I've never reinstalled MCE, but I rather suspect that the order in which you re-install the updates is important. The only thing I can suggest is that you go into Add/Remove, uninstall  whatever updates you find there (for both MCE and for WMP) revisit the MS Update site, and re-download/install all updates in the order they are offered.

Hopefully someone with experience will jump in here...

Well at least you put me on the right track somehow. I was kinda riding blind for a while. I might try Dell tech support... I'm pretty much out of options.

62 Posts

March 14th, 2006 12:00

you said you reinstalled windows xp.

I dont know how new your computer is but...
Have you reinstalled the sonic drivers too?

even without the sonic software i was able to get MCE working using windvd PLAYER and the drivers included with the windows cd for dell only. these are accessable from add and remove programs windows programs

108 Posts

March 14th, 2006 16:00

@pattyandme wrote:
you said you reinstalled windows xp.

I dont know how new your computer is but...
Have you reinstalled the sonic drivers too?

even without the sonic software i was able to get MCE working using windvd PLAYER and the drivers included with the windows cd for dell only. these are accessable from add and remove programs windows programs

*shrugs* It's worth a try...
No Events found!