Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2011 14:00

Upgrade to Vista from XP using a reinstallation CD

Hi!

I've a Vostro 1510 and it comes with a XP Professional reinstallation CD and a Vista business reinstallation DVD. It was pre-installed with the XP.

I want to upgrade my laptop to Vista, can I use the above Vista business reinstallation DVD?

I'm concerned as it is not a "normal reinstallation of Vista". It is an upgrade from XP to Vista. My question is: is there an upgrade path for me from XP to Vista?

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.9K Posts

January 6th, 2011 08:00

Vista was not installed.   

The Dell Reinstallation CDs are full copies of the OS. They only install Windows, alone. They don't install hardware drivers or any of the software Dell included.

You may need to update some hardware drivers after loading Vista.

According the to MS site, you should find an "upgrade" option when you boot from the Vista DVD and begin the installation on a system running XP Pro.  The instructions in my previous post are for XP to Vista, copied from here.

Back up your personal files on external media before you begin the upgrade!

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.9K Posts

January 5th, 2011 17:00

Start by reading this Microsoft article.

Make sure that you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed before you upgrade to Windows Vista.

You can perform a custom installation of the following versions of Windows Vista in Windows XP Professional or in Windows XP Professional N Edition:

• Windows Vista Home Basic
  • Windows Vista Home Basic N
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • Windows Vista Business
  • Windows Vista Business N
  • Windows Vista Ultimate
  1. Back up all the data and settings by using Windows Easy Transfer or Windows XP Backup. Windows Easy Transfer is available on the Windows Vista DVD.
  2. In Windows XP Professional or in Windows XP Professional N, insert the Windows Vista DVD.
  3. Select Custom during the Setup process.
  4. After the installation is complete, you can restore the data that you backed up in step 1 from the backup media.

Ron

4 Posts

January 5th, 2011 18:00

Ron,

Many thanks for your advice. Just one more clarification before I attempt the migration.

My 2 CD/DVDs are labeled as follows:

1) Reinstallation CD - Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. The software is already installed on your computer.This media only to reinstall the operating system on a Dell PC.

2) Reinstallation DVD  - Windows Vista Business 32Bit SP1.  The software is already installed on your computer.This DVD only to reinstall the operating system on a Dell PC.

On my laptop sales receipt, it says:

Normal 0 false false false EN-AU ZH-CN X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 PC, LAPTOP 15.4`` WIDESCREEN WXGA (1280X800), DELL, VOSTRO 1510, BLACK INTEL(R) CORE(TM)2 DUO PROCESSOR T5670 1.8 GHZ, 2MB CACHE, 800 MHZ FSB, 4096MB DDR2 RAM, 250GB SATA HDD, INTEGRATED GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR X3100, INTEGRATED STEREO SOUND, DVD+/-RW, INTEGRATED FAST ETHERNET 10/100/1000, 8 IN 1 MEDIA MEMORY CARD READER SLOT ONBOARD, VIDEO VAM ONBOARD, EXPRESSCARD SLOT ONBOARD, GENUINE WINDOWS VISTA(R) BUSINESS 32 BIT SP1 (ENGLISH) DVD MEDIA INCLUDED, GENUINE WINDOWS(R) XP PROFESSIONAL SP3 EDITION (ENGLISH) CD MEDIA INCLUDED, GENUINE WINDOWS(R) XP PROFESSIONAL SP3 (ENG) -DOWNGRADE VISTA BUSINESS PREMIUM, MICROSOFT(R) OFFICE 2007 BASIC OEM VERSION (ENGLISH), 4 USB PORTS, 1 FIREWIRE PORTS, AC ADAPTOR (SERIAL NO: FXMF12S) (116702-51)

Now my 1510 is running XP. Given the above information, would you be able to help me determine:

1) Was Vista actually installed in my laptop? And I just need to activate(re-install)  it?

2) Are the above so-called Reinstallation CD/DVD are upgrade copies only or Full product copies of respective operating systems?

3) Are your instructions for an upgrade from XP to Vista?

Thanks again!

19 Posts

November 21st, 2015 12:00

This does not work for me.  I have XP Home SP3 and a Dell Reinstallation DVD for Vista Home Premium.  I moved my XP installation to a machine I built.  I am now trying to use my Vista DVD to upgrade the XP OS.  If I boot from the DVD, after choosing Install Now, I get a message "F:/sources/Install.wim cannot be located".  However, install.wim is in f:/sources.  What is happening here?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 21st, 2015 13:00

This does not work for me.  I have XP Home SP3 and a Dell Reinstallation DVD for Vista Home Premium.  I moved my XP installation to a machine I built.  I am now trying to use my Vista DVD to upgrade the XP OS.  If I boot from the DVD, after choosing Install Now, I get a message "F:/sources/Install.wim cannot be located".  However, install.wim is in f:/sources.  What is happening here?

You cannot "move" your XP installation to a machine you built.

Your XP license is for your original Dell PC. It is an OEM license only.

19 Posts

November 21st, 2015 20:00

Well, I did.  I run Ubuntu 14.04.3 x64.  I created a VM using VirtualBox and installed the XP software that Dell gave me for my XPS 410.  It is not an OEM license.  However, the Vista software came installed on the XPS 410.  When it gave me all kinds of trouble, I asked Dell to send me XP, and they did.  So I have a Microsoft copy installed in the VM under Ubuntu.  I would like to upgrade it to Vista since I have that disc.

I presume you are telling me I cannot upgrade my XP to Vista because the Vista disk is an OEM copy.  Is there no way to make that work, i.e., upgrading the XP VM to Vista with the Vista disk?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 22nd, 2015 03:00

Windows Vista is obsolete do not bother with it.

If you want a Windows VM then use the Windows 10130 .iso, VMWare player and then Windows 10 TH2 Pro .iso. There is a workaround where you can use the Insider Preview to make your system a Windows 10 Pro Device for free:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/installation-of-windows-and-linux-on-a-virtual-machine-using-vmware-player/installation-of-windows-10-pro-using-a-vmware-player/

No Events found!