Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2009 13:00

Unable to view Yahoo webmail attachments - Vista/IE8/McAfee Dell Studio 15

I am trying to help my friend with a Dell Studio 15 laptop resolve an issue when accessing her Yahoo mail account via web mail.

She has Vista + IE8 + McAfee.  When she accesses her Yahoo mail account through webmail (she does not use POP) and tries to view email attachments (i.e. JPG files among other file types).  When we click on the attachment, the Yahoo mail bar shows that the file has been scanned by Norton Anti Virus (from Yahoo's mail servers).  We click on "Download File" and get a dialog box with the options Open, Save, Cancel. We click Open - wanting to view the attachment immediately. A download dialog box appears and you see the download percentage go from 0% to 100%.  However, once the download is complete, the download box disappears but the attached file does not open. 

I logged in to Gmail via web mail and accessed the same attachment and the attachment does open successfully. My friend does not use Gmail.

I did a search of this issue to see if anyone else has encountered a similar problem and found a solution.  I did not find any. The discussions I found range from:

• Some were unable to download attachments in Windows mail - - not the same web mail service and they have problems with download (we do not). We only have problems with viewing the downloaded file.
  • Some suggested that McAfee Site Advisor was to blame and to turn it off - - I did not get a chance to test this and did not want to lose the use of Site Advisor
  • Some people suggested reinstalling IE8. However, I did not see an IE8 download option for Vista.
  • Some suggested uninstalling IE8 and to use IE7 which resolved their problems - - this is what I ended up doing.

I uninstalled IE8 (not easy to do since there was no Uninstall option for IE8 on Vista for this machine). I found instructions on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 which provides an option "If Windows Internet Explorer 8 does not appear in the list of installed updates, try the alternative steps for Windows Vista or for Windows Server 2008.".

It worked.  However, eventually, we might want to move back to IE8.

Does anyone know a fix for this issue?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 7th, 2009 16:00

bubbadubba,

Yaho has a spam blocker and if I remember correctly, it might block some of the images. Had thie problem with Mozilla Firefox and yahoo mail using an adblocking filter. The images would show because of it. I don't have IE8 installed as it slowed down my system, so this is the best I can give you unless someone else can suggest something.

Rick

142 Posts

September 8th, 2009 10:00

Hello again Rick,

The settings are set as you indicate.  I would suspect that if the settings in the Yahoo mail account were the cause of this issue, the attachment would not be viewable when we accessed the same account in a different computer.  However, the attached image was successfully viewable in the IE8 / XP machine. Also, when the we finally uninstalled IE8 on the Vista machine and reverted back to IE7, the attached file was now viewable.

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

bubbadubba,

Open Yahoo mail. click on options, mail options. Click on spam. Make sure it says Always show images, except in Spam folder

Rick

142 Posts

Hi Rick,

I am not sure what you mean when you say "Yahoo has a spam blocker". We were using IE8, not a Yahoo browser. Although IE8 did have pop-up blocker enabled, I disabled it to see if it would resolve the issue. It did not.  I even changed the browser security setting from medium-high to medium. Still no change. Just in case, I did close and reopen the browser to make sure the setting changes took.

As I mentioned previously, in the Vista / IE8 / McAfee machine, I can view the same attachment in Gmail but not in Yahoo Mail. When I tried this in an XP / IE8 /  Trend Micro machine, I can view the JPG attachments successfully (same account of course).

Bub

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 8th, 2009 14:00

bubbadubba,

Well I'm glad you figured that our. Must have been some type of add-on in IE8 blocking it. I don't use IE8 as it slowed down my computer. I kept with IE7 but I really use Mozilla Firefox as my default browser.

Rick

No Events found!