Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2008 11:00

Screensavers

Hi.  Since I bought my new Dell Inspiron 530S w/windows XP Professional I have not been able to use my screensaver from my Control Panel.  Usually you set your desktop and screensaver in your CP and click apply and then they come on within the time you set it for.  I never had a problem using them before but now I have this new computer and I set my screensaver but it never comes on.  There must be something running I guess to prevent it but I have no clue as to what.  The things that are in my taskbar are:  Media Manager Services (came with the computer and have no clue what this is for), Webroot Spy Sweeper, McAfee Security, Realtek HD Audio, Kodak Easyshare (my digital), Informational Alerts (this came with computer also something to do with Dell Support Center) and IntelGraphics Media Acc. Driver.  If anyone can please tell me what to do so that my screensavers work please do.  I don't like the idea of my screensaver not working because I don't like my computer to stay on without the screensaver coming on.  Please help. 

347 Posts

May 18th, 2008 16:00

My problem is now fixed. I contacted Dell Support and they have what you call Dell Connect where they can take over my computer while I watch.  They went into the startup menu under msconfig and took it out of normal startup and put it in selective startup and also unchecked every item in the startup column except a very few.  I had been told by someone that I needed some of those in my taskbar but Dell Tech is telling me I didn't need anything down there except a few like my McAfee, Printer, Spy Sweeper.  So I restarted my computer and now my screensavers work so whatever was running stopping it from working is solved now.  Apparently you do not need much of anything in your taskbar in order for them to work, this is good to know.  Now I only have 3 things there and wrote down everything that they did just in case it happens again and things all get checked again.  Just wanted to let everyone know that this has been solved.  Thank you.

20.5K Posts

May 18th, 2008 23:00

Glad to hear that you fixed the problem. :)

"I contacted Dell Support and they have what you call Dell Connect where they can take over my computer while I watch."

Isn't that great? I had Dell Support help me with my wireless card when my computer was new, and it was a fun experience!

347 Posts

May 19th, 2008 08:00

I think that Dell Connect is the best way to go for support.  They can take over and do it all for you and you just sit back and watch.  I have it for the next 4 years and I'm glad.
No Events found!