Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2004 16:00

Restart Button Does Not Work

I don't know how long ago this happened, but recently whenever I've tried to restart my Dimension 2350 it has just shut right down. This sometimes happens after an install aswell (when the system tells you to restart before any changes will take effect).

Could the restart button have been redefined as a shut down button? Could it be the CMOS battery?

How can I check this and rectify the problem?

Thanks in advance Guys and Gals!

Regards

JM

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 20th, 2004 17:00

When you restart do you use the Start button on the Taskbar and shutdown/restart commands? You are not supposed to use the button on the tower to restart or shutdown.

April 20th, 2004 17:00

Yes, I mean restarting from the start menu and clicking on 'Restart'. The system will then act as if I've clicked on the 'Shut Down' button.....

Any suggestions?

Regards

JM

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 20th, 2004 20:00

Sometimes this is caused by a software program misbehaving. Check your running processes by looking at that tab in Task Manager. See if you can spot anything that might be causing Windows to hang. Run AdAware to remove spyware and Disk Cleanup, too. Also check your Power Settings. Another cause is Fast User Switching that can be turned off in User Accts. Here's an article that might help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308029&Product=winxp

4.4K Posts

April 20th, 2004 21:00

You could also see if restart will work from a desktop shortcut:

Right click desktop, click new, click shortcut; In 'type the location of the item' type

%windir%\System32\Shutdown.exe -r -t 01 

(the -t01 is optional, it just sets a time delay indicated by the number after the t, in this case 1 second)

click next , click finish. The default name of the shortsut is shutdown.exe, but of course you can change that, as also the icon.

Double clicking on that shortcut should close down and restart the PC.

You can also make a shortcut to shutdown, replace -r by -s in the above.

April 21st, 2004 09:00

Thanks for the advice so far guys, but nothing seems to work.

Could it be something in the actual code that's changed? ie that the line of code that is supposed to do the restart whether it be from the start menu, a shortcut, or by a newly installed program that requires restarting before changes take effect.

This is really bugging me now.

I hope one of you genius' out there can come up with a solution for me.

Kind Regards

JM

2.4K Posts

April 27th, 2004 17:00

Get it working ? Things to try if you're still working on it:

- check your Device Manager for bad driver

- Re your Soundcard driver (eg SB Live) in Add/Remove: Remove it, reboot and reinstall from CD or Dell site.

- (from Start/Run:) Enter this command

sfc /scannow

No Events found!