Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2004 21:00

Norton AntiVirus 5 download installation problem

Today I have been helping my sister with her computer.  She only uses it for e-mail purposes and could not get on the Internet; she knows little about computers and always has me - someone who knows just enough to be dangerous! - go to her house and help when needed.  Getting back on the Internet was no problem.  Since her Norton Anti Virus 2002 subscription would need extending in a couple weeks she asked that I do it for her today.  I do it each year - should have been easy, right?  Well, when I went to it today I found the price had gone up to $24.95 and was given the option of downloading the 2005 version for only $5.00 more!  She thought that sounded like a good deal so, her credit card in hand, I began the process.  Come to find out it would really cost $36.97 because of the download insurance (or something like that!).  She said go with it.  I did.  Wanting to keep a copy for the future I chose to download it to a file of my choice - first the set-up file; then the actual file.  I had to use the set-up to get to the other file for downloading.  You probably know the routine.  Anyhow, that was the easy part.  Installing it just wouldn't happen!  First it lead me to remove the 2002 version through Add/Remove programs in her Windows 98 SE.  Did that.  Then tried again to install 2005.  The first screen asking if I wanted to install it would come up and I would direct it to install.  Once that page was finished nothing else happened!  I tried numerous times.  Downloaded it again and again - at least 5 times.  Tried installing it directly rather than save it to a file; didn't work either.  Early on I did a search for any fragments 2002 may have left and deleted them.  I received no message during my install attempts telling me what was needed, what was wrong, or whatever.  The e-mail we received explaining how to use the key, etc. was no help because it assumed the program was installed!  Can't use the key until it is installed - have to activate it within a couple weeks they said with that key.  The Symantec site was no help at all in trying to troubleshoot the problem.  Couldn't even find a phone number for that purpose!  I finally gave up and re-installed 2002 so she would have protection for a while.  Can someone help me solve this problem?  Even a phone number for Symantec to troubleshoot would be good. 

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Bessie

18.8K Posts

November 9th, 2004 22:00

Bessie,

Go through the steps avaiable here then proceed to the telephone link. According to Symantec, "Fee may be waived if Support Representative determines that the issue was caused by the product."

300 Posts

November 10th, 2004 20:00

Thanks for the info Denny.  I suspect either I did not remove ALL of 2002 or her computer is too cluttered.  It is a 5 yr. old Compaq - a brand I know little about.  But I have discovered there is a set of Restore Disks that are supposed to restore it to original condition.  I plan to go over there tomorrow and do that if possible.  She does have a CD-RW drive so I can copy the pictures, etc.  I have put on it through the years.  Once I get McAfee - what she had originally - off I will once more attempt to load Norton Anti Virus 2005.  Who knows - just might work this time!  I would like to avoid phoning Symantec if possible since there are charges.  Too bad they don't have a toll free number.

Thanks again,

Bessie

1 Message

November 11th, 2004 16:00

I am having similar issues just activating the Norton software that came with my new desktop.  The tech support for symantec is 800 745 6055.  They haven't been able to help me yet, the internet server is down and the phone activation is 'not available' either.  No one I have spoken to yet seems to know what is going on.

300 Posts

November 11th, 2004 21:00

Kari10,

Thanks for the phone number.  I did the Quick Restore to that Compaq computer today (QUICK it wasn't!).  Anyhow I was finally able to load Norton Anti Virus 2005 but was unable to activate it.  I could do live update but that was the only thing.  I uninstalled it and re-installed it.  Didn't help.  I will go over to my sister's house again tomorrow and work on it all again.  Your experience makes me wonder if I will just be wasting my time!  Of course I have a lot of other things to do on that computer so better go.  If I have any luck with Norton I'll let you know; please do the same for me.  I personally have a new 8400 and will be installing Norton Anti Virus 2005 from a disk in mid-December when my 90 day trial of Internet Security runs out.  Makes me wonder if I will have trouble then as well!!!

300 Posts

November 12th, 2004 21:00

Kari10,

I used that phone number you gave me and eventually got that activation done!  The first guy I spoke with knew very little so he passed me on to someone else.  I was glad because I could barely understand him.  After holding on the  phone for at least 30 minutes Bryan came on the line; I could understand him a little better but not a lot.  Anyhow he lead me through editing the registry.  It took several changes and I could not begin to tell you how to do it.  He also seemed to think the version of Windows made a difference - I was using 98 SE.  When I load my own in December I just might have to phone India again!   So, my advice to you would be to find a time when you have nothing else going on and keep the faith!  You will eventually get the help you need - without cost I might add.

Thanks again for that phone number!

Bessie

4.4K Posts

November 19th, 2004 18:00

300 Posts

November 19th, 2004 21:00

JRosenfeld,

Thanks for the information.  I did get the support I needed last week when I used the phone number I was given.  This site just might help someone else, however.

Bessie

No Events found!