Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2006 22:00

Network Firewall Blocking Media Player?

I posted this over in another forum and was told to move it; I hope I'm posting it in the right place. 

Anyway, after weeks of having various problems watching streaming video, my Media Player was finally co-operating when today I get a new error message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file.  A network firewall might be preventing the Player from opening the file by using the UDP transport protocol.  If you typed a URL in the Open URL dialog box, try using a different transport protocol, for example, http:"  Error message C00D11B6

Okay, now I'm more confused than ever! Is the firewall problem at my end or the station?  I did not type in the URL; I clicked a link on the station home page ( www.wsvn.com), "7 News Live".  The URL does begin with htp: regardless.  I had no problems connecting to the stream yesterday.  I have searched Dell Support and this board and could not seem to find anything.  I really don't know what to do.  Plaese help! 

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

June 24th, 2006 23:00

June 25th, 2006 02:00

Thanks for the link!  I disabled the UDP protocol and checked the settings on my firewall; Media Player is already on my list of exceptions.  I also put the stream access URL on my list of trusted sites.  I'm still getting the same error message though, so I guess I'm back to square one.  I don't know what else I should do.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

June 25th, 2006 03:00

Sorry, I should have checked your link first.

It's not working for me either, and generating the same error message. Since I've had no problems elsewhere with streaming media, and you say it was working for you recently, I suspect the problem is at their end.

June 25th, 2006 18:00

THANK YOU! :smileyvery-happy:

It's nice to know  someone else was having the same problem!  I just tried it this afternoon, and was able to connect to the stream.  Apparently, they do maintennance on Saturdays.  I hope I don't have this problem again. 

Thanks again!

No Events found!