Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 27th, 2005 18:00

Nero software

I recently purchased a cd-burner and the software that came with it is Nero 5.3 and I am having all sorts of problems with it. The initial installation had all sorts of errors in it and I went to the Nero website and did an update and was finally able to finish the installation. Now my most current problem is I do not have the serial number to the software so that I can actually use my cd-burner software. The jacket the software came in did not have the serial number on it and I do not know how to go about finding the serial number. I tried doing a run with regedit to find the serial number on my computer, but it shows nothing. Is there another way to find the serial number short of buying the software? I'm getting very discouraged with this whole process and I'm ready to just quit. I'm hoping someone can help me so that I can finally use my cd-burner.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 27th, 2005 20:00

The Nero version supplied with the CD burner is a special version that does not require a serial number.  If you downloaded the current V6 Nero, you will have to purchase it (and get a serial number) if you want to use it over 7 days. 

Since the version came with the drive it should work OK. 

What errors did you get?  Most Dells are shipped with the CD drives set for "Cable Select", not the older Master/Slave setup.  If you didn't set the drive for Cable Select that may be some of your problems.

As far as the hardware installation, Nero (or any CD burning software) is required to install it.  As long as the device type is set correctly when you startup the PC the BIOS should detect it and then Windows will detect and install it.  The ONLY drivers for CD/DVD drives (any type) is the default Windows driver.

47 Posts

April 29th, 2005 00:00

to burn cd's u don't need nero.  dell pc's come with sonic record now.

If u bought a new cd burner apart from the PC, you might not have any software.  Nero is a program that is overkill for your PC.

Nero will do DVD's too, but u only have a cd burner.

nero has many programs within the program.  U can download demo version 6 for free.  Try it before U buy it.

Nero version 7 will follow, because all this DVD writing software is still in it's teens.  I am still waiting for a great program to come along.  Then I will buy it.

Most people think you can use a dvd/cd burner like a floppy or vhs recorder.  WRONG!

WE ALL FIND THIS OUT THE HARD WAY.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 29th, 2005 09:00

If the poster does not have a CD or DVD burner in their PC then it would not have come with CD burning software such as Sonic Record Now or Roxio Easy CD Creator - depending on the age of the PC.  Dell has supplied both depending on when the PC was purchased.

Nero and Roxio are the two most used/preferred CD/DVD burning programs. 

Please get your facts straight before posting.

1.4K Posts

May 3rd, 2005 03:00

carolrut

If you are running XP SP2 then none of this applies. If not, Nero 5.3 is really old and you'd be better off with Nero 6. You can get Nero 6.0 from the vendors here for ~$3.00 and up:

http://www.pricewatch.com/

Just type in NERO in the search box and go from there. Fireberd is correct in that there is no serial number on the sleeve (as I found out, it's on the CD). If you do go that route, when you go to install Nero 6.0, don't install from the group of three that are bracketed at the top (it will ask for the serial number). Instead select one of the three individually and the serial number will be inserted for you from the CD and then the install will go forward without a hitch (I don't remember which one of the three).

No Events found!