Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 2nd, 2010 05:00

Jasc Paint Shop Pro Dell Edition repeated installation attempts

I have a Dell Dimension 3100 with Windows XP. Every time it starts up Jasc Paint Shop Pro Dell Edition repeatedly tries to install itself, tells me that it is installing then that it needs a disc, which I don’t have.

I have tried uninstall this program , it refuses then tells me it needs a disc to instal and disappears from the list only to return when I open the list again.

I have uninstalled Corel Paint Shop Pro X as this may be associated to Jasc and have tried to uninstall Corel Photo Album 6. This latter programme refuses to go with the error message:-

“Error 1720. There is a problem with the Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor”

followed by:-

“Fatal error during installation”

I have downloaded the latest Windows Installer and followed the procedure suggested by Microsoft in the absence of the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility which they no longer provide as a download because it may adversely affect other programs.

What can I now do to uninstall the offending program(s) and get my computer to start properly?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2010 06:00

Check the startup    "msconfig" screen as there may be something in the startup for the old Paint Shop.  The old JASC Paint Shop is now Corel Paint shop and it could be related.   

To access the msconfig startup screen, go to Start and then Run,  enter  msconfig and press the enter (return) key. 

Corel may have a utility to uninstall these too, check the Corel web site.

2.6K Posts

September 2nd, 2010 14:00

Remembered an old thread about this one...

Corel does have a cleanup option with its own download:

http://corel.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/762149/p/155/r_id/166

Alternatively, you can get a later copy of Windows Installer Cleanup from an alternate site, like the one below (select under "download locations", avoid the ads).    As long as you don't use it to clean up Office, there's nothing wrong with it - MS just threw the baby out with the bathwater.

http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Installer_CleanUp_Utility_d4459.html

7 Posts

September 4th, 2010 06:00

:emotion-1:Spot on. Many thanks. Installing in safe mode worked but I removed SonicDLA pout of an abundance of caution. Again the links were invaluable.

7 Posts

September 3rd, 2010 03:00

My thanks. The miconfig intervention didn't work but going back to the Corel site sorted it out. I had been there before and emailed them to receive the reply that they did not support their older programs. They suggested their customer forum but none of the links worked. Going back I found the site a maze but after persisting and downloading the wrong tool found the relevant removal tool. Once I had found it it was easy to use and seems to have cured the Jasc start up problem. Unfortunately as I was doing this a Rundllentry problem arose but that is now cured as well.

The only problem that I seem to have left is no matter how many times I download Microsoft update KB967715 it stll regularly appears as a essential update. Any ideas?

In any event I am most grateful for the help that you have given me.

7 Posts

September 3rd, 2010 03:00

Very helpful. Many thanks. The links are particularly appreciated. As you may see from my reply to Firebird without them i almost sank in the Corel website mire.

2.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2010 12:00

RE the KB967715 problem, these might help you.

Try installing in Safe Mode (see under Known Issues):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

If you have Roxio/Sonic DLA, that may be interfering with the update.  If so, easiest to just remove Roxio DLA completely - while it technically is supposed to turnyour CD/DVD drive into a "virtual" hard drive for easier drag-and-drop burning, it's more trouble than it's worth.

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38665

7 Posts

September 4th, 2010 06:00

:emotion-1:Spot on. Many thanks. Installing in safe mode worked but I removed SonicDLA out of an abundance of caution. Again the links were invaluable.

1 Message

January 10th, 2011 12:00

There is a risky way you can delete the Dell Jasc Paint Shop Po Dell Edition which is no longer supported. Go to the bottom of your screen and left click on start. Go to "Run" and left click on it and type in Regedit, and then click on "OK". Now Left click at the top on my computer. After it is highlighted then left click on edit. Now left click on "Find". Type in Jasc Paint Shop Pro and it will stop at a point where the program is recorded. Repeat it each time deleting the highlighted sections until the search ends. You may have to search using "Dell Paint Shop Pro ( version ?) you have. This should delete any unwanted script that pops up. There is a program that I use also called Registry Mechanic by PC Tools that works to keep my registry clean and compressed. Be sure you back up your computer to a restore point first in case you erase something you should not have deleted.

No Events found!