Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2006 09:00

Is There A Way To Use Your Computer To Make A Call?

Is there a way to use your computer to make a phone call? I have DSL and I am not talking about Vonage or something like that. I was just woundering if there was a way if you had a head set pluged in that you could use the key pad to dial and make a phone call from you home phone? I see the phone and modem icon in the control panel that is why I ask.

If some knows and could let me know how to do this that would be great.

Thank You

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 19th, 2006 09:00

If your modem is a "data/fax/voice" modem then you can use it to call and receive telephone calls.  But, you must hae the "voice" option on the modem and the software for it. 

However, a PC makes a poor "telephone".

11.9K Posts

January 19th, 2006 10:00

@fireberd wrote:

If your modem is a "data/fax/voice" modem then you can use it to call and receive telephone calls.  But, you must hae the "voice" option on the modem and the software for it. 

However, a PC makes a poor "telephone".

And you need to connect a REGULAR phone line, not the DSL line, to your phone modem IN ADDITION TO the DSL line to your computer for your internet connection.

141 Posts

January 20th, 2006 00:00

When I read the subject line I thought of PalTalk. Like a phone call but obviously you can only talk to others who use PalTalk. It works, though.

2.4K Posts

January 20th, 2006 00:00

Remember, this is not a secure line. You're still on the internet.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=912378

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 20th, 2006 10:00

It would appear, from the original poster's question that he wants to use the computer to call just like one of his regular "POTS" analog voice phones over his regular voice telephone line,  Not over the internet. 

October 20th, 2022 04:00

What is the why to do a phone call

162 Posts

October 28th, 2022 01:00

Leave your Android device in your pocket the next time it rings — pick up the call from your PC instead. Calling requires Bluetooth capability on both your PC and on your Android device, so make sure you have it turned on for both.

To make a call on your PC:

Open the Phone Link app and select Calls.

In the Search your contacts box, search for a contact name or number. Alternately, you can directly enter a phone number on the dial pad.

Select the Dialicon The Dial button for placing calls in the Your Phone app. to start your call.

If you don't have Bluetooth available on your device (or if it's been turned off), you won't be able to make or receive calls on your PC.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

No Events found!