Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2007 16:00

Internet homepage setting will only accept msn as home page

I reset to default in the internet properties-advance screen and now the only homepage it will use is what looks like a microsoft redirect to a MSN page.  Every time I deleate or type in a new address in the change home page box it is changed back to microsoft when I exit.  Even the "make this your home page" menu in yahoo fails to make the change.  I can only add a new address if it is on the second line of home pages which still brings up MSN as the first home page.  How do I get rid of this MSN home page FOREVER!

278 Posts

March 31st, 2007 18:00

You should be able to remove msn and type in the home page you want. Did you click Apply and Ok afterwards after typing in your home page? This should work if not there's something wrong somewhere.

Did you access Internet Properties from Tools in Internet Explorer or by right clicking IE icon on the desktop? Try this method if the other doesn't work. Go to the Web address you want as your Home Page. Then click tools on the Tool Bar, Internet Options, then click Use Current.

Message Edited by Darrel112 on 03-31-2007 12:36 PM

12 Posts

March 31st, 2007 19:00

I have done all that and more.  The file that is reinserted everytime I deleate it is:                                                                                                                                                                 microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&clcid=0x409&pver=6.0&ar=home
This takes me to MSN. 

I think my last trick is to remove explorer and then reinstall but I am not sure that the file that is forcing the MSN home page is in explorer.  Any idea what files need to be deleates along with explorer?

Thanks for your time,

Bill

5.8K Posts

March 31st, 2007 20:00

See the possible causes and fixes here:

Odds are that one of your security programs has locked your home page.

6 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 10:00

Her homepage is set and saved as Http://www.msn.com I can change the home page just fine but anytime the system goes to msn.com it gets hijacked to dell.msn.com

6 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 10:00

I just order my wife a new system. She insists on using IE and wants MSN as her home page. Every time she goes to MSN.com she gets redirected/hijacked to dell.msn.com. I've read the solutions. What I have done.

Deleted all cookies and browsing history.

Went to microsoft.com and installed IE9

Looked in the hosts file. nothing there without a # in front of it.

Ran hijack this, didn't see anything blatant

I put Http://dell.msn.com on the blocked sites list, it still goes there

To Dell this is a horrid decision. I have an wife who should be enjoying her new purchase and instead she is frustrated. I am disgusted that someone at Dell thinks this is a good idea and that they have made it such a pain to get rid of.I should not have to wipe the hard drive  and do a clean install on a new computer or pay to get support to remove malware DELL installed.

No Events found!