Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2007 00:00

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

HI, I am using Dell inspiron 6000 with XP professional. Some time, there was some update from Microsoft and got disconnected from internet and eventually got failed in the middle of patch update. From that moment onwards, I am not able to use internet Explorer and when type the URL message, I use to get the message “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage”. Currently I am using mozilla firefox and I am able to navigate to all pages. But I am some how comfortable with using IE and please let me know the solution to make the IE to work again. Current version of IE is 7 I have diagonised the problem using the tool provided in IE and HTTP, HTTPS & FTP connectivity is successful. TIA

Message Edited by Krishnan_Ins on 12-18-2007 08:12 PM

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

December 19th, 2007 01:00

Your problem has been reported by many following the Dec. update:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-069 - Critical

The only workaround I've seen so far is to uninstall KB942615:
- Open Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs
- Make sure "Show updates" at the top is checked
- Scroll down to Windows Internet Explorer- Software Updates section
- Click on "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer (KB942615)", then [Remove] to uninstall it.

Good luck.

Edit: I forgot to add that if you are using Automatic Updates, you will have to disable this in Control Panel>Security Center, to prevent this Security patch from being installed again. Remember to re-enable this on "Patch Tuesday" in January, by which time hopefully the bug with that patch will have been fixed.

Message Edited by joe53 on 12-18-2007 10:50 PM

12.7K Posts

December 19th, 2007 02:00

The question is, do you have Any 3rd party security software installed?  If so update it or remove it, see if this solves the issue.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

Krishnan, what happens when you right-click the desktop icon for IE, and select "Start Without Add-ons"? And are you sure that update wasn't re-installed by Automatic updates? (Check Add/Remove again).

mombodog, you might be right about 3rd party apps, but an awful lot of folks are reporting what Krishnan experienced after the Dec. updates:
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9053300&intsrc=hm_list

12.7K Posts

Its not a problem with IE, but a third party security software you may have installed

Uninstalling worked fine but still the IE is not working. I have also checked the list of third party security updates and I am not having any thing which is listed under microsoft.

12.7K Posts

Joe53,

Yep, especially with Trend Micro products, they are starting to remind me of McAfee.  :smileymad:

Message Edited by mombodog on 12-18-2007 10:55 PM

December 19th, 2007 23:00

Thanks for your help but the problem is not resolved. Can I reinstall IE alone from the windows XP and also let me know the procedure if you have in mind. Once again thanks for your technical help and requesting you all to make my IE to work again as expected.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

December 20th, 2007 02:00

You can try to reset Internet Explorer 7 settings to their default values using RIES according to the instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/923737

Be sure to read the section What you must know first.

If that doesn't work, I would contact Microsoft:

" How to obtain help and support for this security update
For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx "

Quote from:  MS07-069: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942615

December 20th, 2007 03:00

I am now back to ie6 and problem remains stable. I tried reaching Microsoft with poor technical support. I cannot install ie alone?

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

December 21st, 2007 02:00

Krishnan_Ins wrote:
I am now back to ie6 and problem remains stable. I tried reaching Microsoft with poor technical support. I cannot install ie alone?

I'm not sure how you got back to IE6 unless you uninstalled IE7. And I'm not sure if "problem remains stable" means IE6 now works, or has the same problem.

If IE6 is still not working, you can try installing this patch from Microsoft:
No Events found!