Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 19th, 2004 16:00

How do I make a MS-Dos bootable diskette under Win 2K?

I need to make an MS-Dos bootable diskette for a flash-BIOS disk (the execute from saved file option doesn't work).

It used to be that one could bring up a command prompt and enter "Format a: /s" and it would install the system files to a floppy.  That is no longer available under Win 2000.  Startup disks have lots of other stuff on them.

How do I come up with a bootable floppy disk that has nothing besides system files on it?

Thanks.

October 19th, 2004 16:00

Go to 'My Computer', right click on the floppy icon, select "Format"...click on the box that says "Create MS-DOS startup disk".

P.S.  Make sure to have a floppy in the floppy drive first ;)

115 Posts

October 20th, 2004 13:00

Most flash BIOS diskettes have the autoexec.bat file on them to run when the diskette is placed into the drive, and the system is rebooted ( provided of course that the floppy drive is the first device listed in boot sequence in the BIOS settings). If you are uncertain of that file being present, you can access the diskette in 2000 ( cmd) and simply perform a dir command when accessing the floppy diskette.

8 Posts

October 20th, 2004 17:00

Thanks, everyone -

I was told about a site called Bootdisk.com - got the file to make a bootable disk there.

Interestingly, the tech from Dell (Indian accent) checked with her supervisors and told me that there is no way to make such a disk under Win 2K.  You'd think they'd make something available on the same web page that gives the BIOS download, that in turn requires a DOS-bootable disk.

115 Posts

October 22nd, 2004 10:00

One of the options in format, may provide you the means to format the diskette, and make it bootable.

4K Posts

November 1st, 2004 00:00

There is a File on the W2k CD called Boot Disk, and in that folder are 2 files called Makeboot and Makeboot32. Each will make 4 Boot Diskettes. I have used both and can not see much difference in the results, but each set boots you into the W2000 Setup and also has a Repair process that culminates in you being asked for the W2k CD to finish the repair. They will also start an installation of W2k on a Computer with on a NON DOS Bootable CDROM; I used it to install W2k on a Dell LM on one occasion.
No Events found!