Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 25th, 2003 13:00

Hard Drive Imaging Software

I recently had a problem, and had to reformat my hard drive, reinstall Windows, and 10 zillion updates.  Everything is running fine now.  Dell 8300 machine, 120 G drive. 

What I would like to do is purchase an additional 120 G drive (or smaller?), add it, and then have some imaging software back up my entire hard drive, OS & all patches, MS Office Pro, everything.....basically, if my original drive crashes or something becomes corrupted, I want to restore everything to a safe configuration.

I tried using System Restore to fix the problem I recently had, but it didn't correct it, so that is why I am looking at imaging software.

I have heard that Norton Ghost both A) works with Windows XP, and B) does not work well with NTSF formatted hard drives.

Am open to using anything, just want some good software.

What would be great is if I could both copy all my system files and program files (essentially making this extra drive bootable), and also being able to update weekly some of my data files.  That may require an extra partition or something.

Appreciate any help and direction.

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

December 25th, 2003 15:00

Skipmcc,

I haven't used it, but if you've got $35 to spare, you might take a look at the product discussed here.

409 Posts

December 26th, 2003 17:00

Norton Ghost (2003) does indeed work well with NTFS formatted drives using XP.  Norton Ghost is however very fussy about which CD burners it will recognize (particularly when it comes to a restore).  My work around for that problem is to create a separate partition on my main hard drive and back up my C Drive to the D Drive as the new partition is called.

Message Edited by oldtraveler on 12-26-2003 01:07 PM

146 Posts

December 26th, 2003 22:00

Power Quest Drive Image 7  has a good deal now. Turn your old ghost program and you get a $30.00 re-bate. That was a no-brainier to get rid of ghost finally.

18 Posts

December 26th, 2003 22:00

I appreciate the comments from all.  I am learning quite a bit about this recently.

Someone led me to Acronis, at http://www.acronis.com/, with Acronis True Image 7.0

From the product description, this actually seems like a versatile and very good program.  I may be going with this one.  If anyone has direct experience with it, please let me know what you think of it.

Thx

2K Posts

December 27th, 2003 02:00

You might want to check out Casper XP. I installed it, but never did try it - so I can't comment on how well or even if it works.

146 Posts

December 27th, 2003 03:00

Derf, I use it everyday in the shop, I highly reccomend it for a bootable copy. It has lots of flexability, is very fast. It's best for a Hdd to Hdd copy, internal to external is fine.

Buy a second Hard drive $50.00 these days and a good
copy/backup program to make a clone. XP-Casper is one.

http://www.fssdev.com/products/  make the clone and then
un-plug the power to the drive if you want.

Want to test drive a Demo for 30 days. It has some
features disabled.

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2248-10161151.html

4 Posts

July 24th, 2004 00:00

I got Acronis True Image a few weeks ago to backup my new Dell Inspiron 510m.  It is a powerful tool and I can think of many situations for which I would be glad of it.  However ... I recommend becoming thoroughly familiar with all it's functions before doing any 'real' work with it.  It seems deceptively simple to use but a newbie (me) can mess up a hard disk with it pretty easily. 

I also found a few glitches:

-

The process of booting from diskette hung after asking for the 2nd diskette then instructing me to press any key.  I pressed every key and tried 3 times with different new diskettes but couldn't get it to work.  Acronis support did not have a fix for me as they could not reproduce the problem.     

-

Resizing of the Acronis Secure Zone (this is the partition that Acronis creates for storing it's image copies) failed one time when I tried to make it bigger - but this wasn't catastrophic as nothing was lost. 

-

The worse problem was when I uninstalled True Image according to the instructions.  The Secure Zone was deleted but the space was not reallocated to my C: partition from whence it came.  I can't use PartitionMagic to reclaim the space because it won't initialise, says I have disk geometry errors. 

Bottom line - I like the functionality of Acronis True Image and I intend to keep using it, but it's been what I'd euphemistically call a steep learning curve! 

No Events found!