Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2003 15:00

HOW TO FAX OUT OF COMPUTER OVER DSL LINE?

This is submitted to 2 boards,  I'm not sure where it belongs.

Is there a way to fax from your computer,  if you connect to the internet via dsl?

I bought WinFax Pro from Symantec,  but it is still not clear to me if I can use this at all,  since I do not have a dial-up modem,   I have only DSL.    So it is still sitting in the box,  unopened,  and I need to decide if I should send it back.

(If I cannot use WinFax Pro,  I would be very happy to use the Windows XP fax program,  but could someone please let me know if you can use their fax program  with a dsl connection?)

I have talked to Symantec a good number of times,  and there doesn't seem to be a clear answer from them.     If there is anyone that is knowledgeable and experienced with this type of set-up,  or any other way to fax out of the computer with dsl connection,  could you kindly let me know what your suggestions are?

I had hoped to be able to use my ACT 6.0 address book in conjunction with a fax program,  but at this point I would settle for just being able to get documents faxed out of the computer,  even if I have to manually type in the recipients fax #,  etc.

If the bottom line is that you absolutely cannot send faxes from your computer over a dsl line,  or if doing so will damage the system in any way,  I'd certainly like to have that confirmed.    If there is any chance that the system will be disturbed by attempting to get it to do something for which it was not intended,   then I definitely do not want to do it.

One more thing:    My fax machine is an all-in-one,  a HP Laserjet 3200,  sharing the dsl line (through a filter) with the computer,  and it is already connected to the computer since it is my printer.........   in case this fact makes any difference in  your answer.     ( I have a separate line for my telephone.)

Thanking you in advance.

Dimension 8200    //  Verizon dsl    //   Westell "WireSpeed" dsl modem

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 15th, 2003 17:00

A telephone line with DSL has two links, the "digital" link that is connected to the DSL modem and the PC. And the Analog (voice telephone) section that uses the special filters at each analog device (e.g. telephone).  You cannot use the Digital DSL link portion for Faxing, you have to have an Analog telephone line connected.

You can connect the telephone line, through one of the filters to the modem in the PC if you want send or receive faxes via the PC's modem, just as you connect the telephone line through a filter to your voice (analog) telephones.  With this setup you can use the WinFax or the built in Windows faxing program.

Since your all in one printer/scanner is also a fax machine, you can fax using this machine as long as it's connected to a filter and then to the telephone line. 

2K Posts

October 15th, 2003 18:00

Well said Fireberd, but I think the OP wants to be able to FAX from the computer using the modem built into the fax machine. I've never used one of these all-in-ones, but I would have thought that HP would have supplied software that would allow one to 'Print to' the remote fax machine.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 16th, 2003 12:00

Here's some info I just got in the latest WinXP Newsletter.

How to Install and Configure XP's Built-in Fax Service

Do you want to send and receive faxes on your Windows XP computer? If you have a fax modem installed, you can - but the fax service is not installed by default. Here's how to install and configure it:

1. Click Start | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs.
  2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
  3. When the Windows Components Wizard starts, click the Fax Services check box to check it and click Next.
  4. Insert the XP installation CD if prompted to do so, and click OK.
  5. Click Finish when the Wizard is done, and click Close to close the Add or Remove Programs dialog box.

Now you need to configure the service:

1. Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | Communications | Fax | Fax Console.
  2. When the Fax Configuration Wizard starts, go through the steps to enter sender information, select the modem you want to use, and choose whether you want to be able to send or receive faxes, or both.
  3. You can enter the TSID information that appears in the fax header and the CSID information that is displayed on the sending fax machine.
  4. You can also select whether to automatically print faxes or store a copy in a folder.
  5. Click Finish on the Summary page of the Wizard.

Now you can send and/or receive faxes!

1 Message

April 13th, 2004 11:00

I read your information about faxing using a DSL line but I am unclear how to exactly set it up.  Could you please explain what I need to do.  Thanks - hopelessly lost!

426 Posts

April 14th, 2004 06:00

If you do not have a fax/modem, you cannot send a fax over the DSL line.  No way around that other than to subscribe to some online service that will send the fax for you.  The ONLY way to fax from your computer is with a fax/modem connected to the DSL line thru a microfilter device, just like it was before you had DSL (except that you needed no microfilter then).

No Events found!