Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 7th, 2006 16:00

Google software malfunction

Just received D510 notebook with bundled Google software. But, whenever I click the Internet Explorer icon to go online, the system defaults to Google page and the Google page will not allow me to connect to the Web. How do I work around this software problem?

March 8th, 2006 22:00

I don't have Google software but you may be able to change what it does in Google options,preferences, or what ever they call it.  Are you certain that you need Google Software?  It can be very invasive and may possibly compromise security.  Most of us live happily without it.

7 Posts

March 9th, 2006 00:00

I really don't want Google. It came with my Dell and I hate it. Thanks for your advice, but can you be more specific about your comments? Are you telling me how to wipe Google? I'm really a novice at this.

March 9th, 2006 01:00

To remove Google, go to Control Panel and select Add Subtract Programs.  Find Google in the list and left click on it to highlight it.  Then on the right you will see a button, change/remove.  Click this and remove Google.  Close the add remove and control panel. You will still be able to use the search function by accessing Google on line at www.google.com.

7 Posts

March 10th, 2006 00:00

Thanks. I've got my goggles and gloves, and am poised to uninstall Google.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

March 10th, 2006 01:00

Avie;

Just out of interest, I'm seeing a lot of complaints about redirects in IE to Dell-associated google boards. Could you list whatever Google programs came pre-installed on your system? Specifically, did yours come with Google AFE?

7 Posts

March 10th, 2006 13:00

joe53:
The Google software came bundled, and I cannot identify a specific version. Even Dell support is having a problem helping me... when I can reach a tech, that is. After talking to India with no results, I finally found a U.S. telephone number to call. Well, I tried that twice... the first time I was on hold for 17 minutes, and had to hang up. The second time, I was on hold for 14 minutes, and I just gave up.

March 10th, 2006 17:00

Avie:  Dell has been adding various software programs to its new computers that have douvious benefit or are just plain irritating.  Things have changed alot in the last 10 years.  I used to trust anything Dell put on its hard drives.  This is no longer the case, as Dell and every other computer maker places 3rd party products for profit on their machines.

7 Posts

March 10th, 2006 22:00

paindoc:

Yes, and Dell will insist that all this keeps down the price of their products... baloney! Dell is on that same slippery customer-be-last slope that is consuming General Motors and Ford.

3 Posts

March 29th, 2006 17:00

I took google toolbar off my computer.  It still has Google AFE..  Is it safe to remove it also?  I am novice to all this but I knew I didn't want the toolbar.  Thanks in advance for the help.   Pat

March 29th, 2006 20:00

You can safely remove Google by going to control panel and then selecting add remove programs.  Find Google and remove it.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

March 29th, 2006 22:00

Google AFE is safe to remove. It is a redirector program that automatically sends you to a Dell/Google search website when you mistype a web address.

Message Edited by joe53 on 03-29-2006 07:17 PM

No Events found!