Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 26th, 2016 06:00

Factory installed Microsoft Office (OEM) on Dell Computer

Hi,

I am extremely disappointed with both Dell and Microsoft. 

My client's 3-year old Inspiron 660s had a hard drive failure. After replacing the hard drive I proceeded to perform a factory recovery. The recovery process did not work!!!

My concern was that my client paid good money to buy Microsoft Office when he ordered from Dell in 2013. I spoke with Dell support and they confirmed that factory installed software is not included in the recovery partition. Dell do not provide software disks. I then spoke with Microsoft and they said they do not provide downloads for OEM, only retail versions. By the way they understand my client's dilemma and are very sorry.  Now that is ***!!!

So here we have a classic situation where neither multi-billion dollar company will help a customer.

I wonder what other Dell clients do when they loose software due to hard drive failure?

Thanks for listening to my rant.

• 

16.9K Posts

April 27th, 2016 08:00

PC Innovation,

Did you try the link below to download office?

Office Download 

• 

16.9K Posts

April 26th, 2016 08:00

PCInnovation,

When your client purchased the computer and received it from Dell there was an MPI  Card inside the box with the computer. The MPI card was wrapped in cellophane  and included the office Key Code on it. With this card the customer could go to the Microsoft Website and re-download office whenever he needed it as long as he had the MPI card with the office product key. If the customer lost this he/.she would need to purchase another key code.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-Jesse L and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your Dell Order number.

You would click my name in blue, then on the next page in the upper right corner, click the words "send private message"

10 Posts

April 26th, 2016 12:00

Hi Jesse, thanks for your response.

I have already tried downloading from https://setup.office.com. The client has the MPI Card, however the product key was not accepted.

Spoke with Microsoft, they said the product key is for OEM Office. The website will only download if using a Retail product key.

Dell and Microsoft have been paid by my client, and probably millions more. But they are not willing to help people, other than make them re-purchase Office. Microsoft even had the nerve to send me a Customer Satisfaction Survey.  I'm fed up!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 26th, 2016 12:00

Dell ships the OEM software discs attached to the MPI Card.  

This has been the case since office 95,97, 2000, XP, 2003,2007,2010, 2013

10 Posts

April 27th, 2016 08:00

Hi Jesse,

No I did not ... will contact my client and give it a try.

Thanks!

• 

16.9K Posts

April 27th, 2016 09:00

PC Innovation.

Sounds Great! Let me know the outcome.

10 Posts

April 29th, 2016 13:00

Yes, that site was able to provide a download of Office.

Thanks for your help!

February 8th, 2018 13:00

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue as purchased my Dell with MS Office 2010. It recently became corrupted and I wasn't able to fix or reinstall. It's wiped off my computer now but I have the receipt that shows I purchased the laptop with it and shows when I log into my Dell account under original configuration. My warranty is long expired. I just need to get my Office 2010 back on my Dell laptop. The only code I have is the product key on the bottom of my laptop that is invalid when I tried to reinstall 2010 from the Microsoft website...the error message says...The key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact device manufacturer for software recovery options.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you,

Jill

10 Elder

• 

24K Posts

February 13th, 2018 04:00

The product key on the system is for Windows.  The Office product key will be on a small card that shipped with the system - unfortunately, if you have lost that -  you will need to buy a new license.

February 13th, 2018 10:00

Thanks but I didn't lose it because I didn't receive the infamous product key card that I keep getting referred back to. I know this because I have everything that came out of the box including the Lo-Jack disk and the plastic bags that the power cables were wrapped in. Disappointing in this day and age that's it's impossible to keep a backup for what is purchased especially directly from Dell who still have my invoice when I log into the system.

4 Posts

June 27th, 2021 11:00

Microsoft 365? I need what was on the laptop while I was shopping. What to do to restore Office 2016?

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 23rd, 2024 12:39

Mesmo problema não possuo mais a chave de papel em um mundo digital, com numero de serie modelo do notebook não consigo a chave o do Office 2013 Home. onde foi pago.
No Events found!