Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2006 06:00

Cannot Start Windows Firewall/ Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service on local machine

That message has been plaguing me for about a month and a half, as far as i know. I use a LAN here and i need to have a shared connection inorder to properly exchange files and such between my work group computers. One day i was trying to figure out what was wrong and i stumbled accross the fact that my windows firewall no longer will start, which in turn prevents the ICS service from begining too. From that i have spent a long time pouring over google and windows self support stuff to no avail. I started with the netsh winsock reset, nothing. Add the IRPStackSize and set decimal to 15 and then increased by three as others have recommended. I found various different places saying to resolve this problem you need to remove certain files from the registry (didn't work so i put them all back in). The thing is that the specific error everyone else gets is different then mine. I get error 8: not enough storage to complete the operation (or something like that about not enough storage.) I have checked and all the dependancies are running. Also someone suggested that i had the backdoor.prorat on my comp, but i used my McAfee and couldn't find anything and i used the Prorat server doohicky to remove it and it said i was clean. So I am at my wits end...(don't know why i didn't try this sooner). Just some specs
Inspiron 8600 - Broadcomm 40/100x Ethernet - Dual Band 1400 Internal Wireless - TM300 Internal Bluetooth (all connectivity to the internet functions). I have McAfee Personal Firewall and Virus Scan. Any info would be awsome. Thanks in advance

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 2nd, 2006 13:00

McAfee will disable the Windows firewall automatically (they conflict) and will also block your networking unless you allow exceptions for your network . You are confusing ICS--sharing connection to the Internet with networking. Internet Connection Sharing is not file sharing & is not necessary in your situation. Try running the Networking Wizard. You might post in the networking forum for more help.
No Events found!