Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 30th, 2012 11:00

Can't change desktop background

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 620 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. When trying to personalize my display, I click on a theme or background and the desktop background does not change.  The window color, sounds and screensaver all change to whatever theme I choose, just not the background. How do I get rid of this blue default background and personalize my computer?

Pam

20.5K Posts

June 1st, 2012 17:00

This isn't a Windows issue, it is Dell hijacking the desktop.

Nothing was "hijacked".
It appears that you had a corrupted TranscodedWallpaper.jpg on your Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
The tech used Method 2 HERE to help you. I'm glad to that he was able to resolve your issue.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 30th, 2012 13:00

To set a different "wallpaper" picture (background), RIGHT click in an empty space on the desktop (screen) and then click on "Personalize".  Click on "Desktop Background" at the bottom of the panel.  This should open the My Pictures folder, but if you have a picture somewhere else you can Browse to whatever location you want that you have pictures you want to use.  

If you don't have any, do a google search for "wallpaper" and you will get a lot of choices to download.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 30th, 2012 15:00

All the themes will change the Desktop without choosing a background separately. Visit this page and select a theme, select download and allow it to be opened by the default selection. windows.microsoft.com/.../themes You can also get to this page  by selecting "get more themes online" on the personalize page. Don't select Save when you download themes. Selecting Open instead will automatically change themes.

edit-- There is a selection on the page for Desktop Background that might need tweaking.  Click on Desktop Background and choose Desktop Background for your picture location in the drop down box instead of Solid color that is selected now. Now the caption should say Slide show.

May 31st, 2012 06:00

When I select a photo I get an internal error message.

May 31st, 2012 06:00

I stated in my original post, when I follow these instructions to change my theme, everything BUT the background/wallpaper changes.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 31st, 2012 07:00

You should contact Support for this new computer. Something is not right and software support is limited to the first month. You should not be  having this problem.

May 31st, 2012 22:00

Hi schererelect,

Welcome to the Community

I order to change the background picture you can try steps given in the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-your-desktop-background-wallpaper

But if still you are not able to change the desktop background try creating a new user account (Administrator) and then try changing the background wallpaper on the new user account and see if you are able to change the background picture.

Please reply for any further assistance.

Thank you

Aashish Sengar

Social outreach Professional

You can reach us at community.dell.com

June 1st, 2012 06:00

As suggested my Mary G, I called Dell and they remotely accessed my computer. He tried tried a few different fixes, (a few I had tried myself previously) and eventually removed a code that appeared to be placed by Dell on my computer.  I was trying to follow where he navigated to but wasn't able to keep up properly.  He started at C;, users, then to the affected user name and after that I lost track until he was in a folder called Transcoded Wallpaper.  There were 2 files in the folder and he inserted a .old at the end of a folder name, and then opened the other and removed all of the code from a notepad. My desktop changed immediately. This isn't a Windows issue, it is Dell hijacking the desktop. I've read they do this with Windows Starter which is fine if it's less expensive, but I'm using 7 Home Premium and shouldn't have to deal with this.  

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 1st, 2012 08:00

Dell does not block changing background/wallpaper on Windows 7 Starter - it is disabled by MICROSOFT in that very limited Windows version.

June 2nd, 2012 18:00

I am glad to know that issue has been resolved.

And Dell doesn't hack computer; they can only access your computer to resolve any technical issue, only after the user gives the permission and the issue you were facing with your computer background as such there was no code which was placed on the computer by DELL, tech just fixed the corrupted file.

Please contact DELL technical support for any issue and queries,

Always pleased to help

Regards,

Aashish Sengar

Social Outreach Professional

you can reach us at: http://en.community.dell.com/

2 Posts

June 13th, 2013 06:00

use this tool: http://www.bionixwallpaper.com/index.html

2 Posts

June 13th, 2013 06:00

1 Message

September 26th, 2015 21:00

I dont know how to change my background my personalize is blocked on the computer and i tried to change it but it wont change can someone please help me and it just keeps the same background.

No Events found!