Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

May 1st, 2006 22:00

Can I turn the PC on/off with the remote control?

Yes a frivolous question.  I currently own a Toshiba Qosmio laptop for my bedroom.

I'm on the verge of replacing my dimension 5100/xp home with a 9150 media centre, as my main PC in the living room.  One of the things I love about the laptop is that you can boot it up and turn it off using the power button on the media centre remote control.

Until 10 minutes ago I thought this was a feature of the operating system.  However I've just downloaded the Dell manual for xp media centre and with no mention of this I'm having my doubts.

Being physically disabled this feature has been brilliant on my laptop.

Could someone clarify-I may well be purchasing the new system this week?

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

May 2nd, 2006 03:00

Hi:

Your question was interesting, so I experimented with my Dimension 9100/MCE and remote. I could not find anyway to use the remote to completely turn on or off the PC, but the power button on it did put the system into S3 standby, and wake it from same. Standby shuts off the hard drive, fans, and monitor, and saves power, which is as close to a complete shutdown as you can get.

The only catch is that Standby mode was developed for portables, and is often reported to fail on desktops (although not by everyone). So far (9 months on) it still works on mine.

932 Posts

May 21st, 2006 07:00

What you might do is get a logitech wireless keyboard with programmable function keys (I use the one that came with LX700 desktop) ...

I have several keys programmed to start different applications (plus the keyboard has a "close" button and one that links to a shortcut I created to shutdown the system. So, I can turn the PC off from across the room ... not using my remote, but my keyboard. It bit more awkward, but it works. You can probably buy a windows compatible remote control with macro buttons, as well.
No Events found!