Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2017 09:00

windows 10 stuck in automatic repair loop after updating

My computer, an XPS 8500 originally running Windows 7 but upgraded to Windows 10, is stuck in a diagnose/repair loop.

When the computer turns on, I see the Dell logo and I have the ability to press F2 or F12.
Then a black screen comes up with the Windows logo and spinning circle of dots and it says, "Preparing automatic repair".
Then "Diagnosing your PC".
Then "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete."
Then the Dell logo and F2/F12 prompts again.
Then "Scanning and repairing drive (C:): 0% complete".
Then it starts over from the beginning.

-When I press F12 I have the option to run Dell's diagnostics on the hard drive which comes up with no errors or problems.
-I can't start in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key; it just pauses at the Dell logo screen until I let go, then it starts the auto repair sequence.
-I have a Windows 10 installation USB and I've tried using it to do a Startup Repair but that seems to be the same as the automatic repair my computer is already trying to do and it just keeps repeating what I typed above.
-Using the Windows 10 installation USB to access a command prompt, I tried the four boot rec commands I saw in other posts (fixmbr, fixboot, scanos and rebuildbcd); they all completed successfully but didn't help my problem.
-I have no restore points to go back to.

Before I do a complete reinstall, can anyone think of anything else I can try to get me into Windows long enough to copy off my back up files or at least some key files I can't do without? Should I try going back to the previous build? Or use System Image Recovery? I don't know what those two things mean and I'm really afraid of losing my data.

Thanks...

PS: I'm not sure if it matters at this point, but here's what was going on before all this happened. Windows 10 did an update that changed my power settings so that my hard drive would turn off after 20 minutes. It turned off three times and each time, when I turned the computer back on it went through an auto repair but then would eventually let me back into Windows. I changed the power setting back to "never shut off" and disabled the Windows password because I was afraid in the future I wouldn't remember it. I haven't been able to boot to Windows since.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

March 20th, 2017 06:00

Hi therealjampony,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful:  http://dell.to/2ndFizV

11 Posts

March 20th, 2017 15:00

Thanks for replying. Those links weren't really helpful, though. Any other ideas?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 21st, 2017 09:00

Please keep in mind:

Support for XPS 8500 | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 21st, 2017 09:00

' Or use System Image Recovery? I don't know what those two things mean and I'm really afraid of losing my data "

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest you use the System Image recovery. Please, keep in mind, a system image is a copy of the entire state of your computer system which you created before the problems occurred on the system. The only data you'll lose is after you created the system image. What type of device you use to create a  system image backup? Flash drive, external drive or some type of backup software such as Acronis?  

11 Posts

March 21st, 2017 23:00

I don't have a system image to use, no restore points, nothing. I don't know why, but I thought the system restore thing was automatic. Also, I know the XPSs aren't tested for Windows 10 compatibility but Microsoft was so dang insistent with their popups and notices telling me to upgrade and saying my computer passed their tests.

I wound up taking my PC to a Microsoft Store this morning and luckily they were able to back up my data before reinstalling Windows.

Thanks to both of you for trying to help. I appreciate it.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 16:00

Glad you computer is fix now. Thanks for the update....:emotion-2:

1 Message

September 26th, 2017 16:00

Hi,

I had the same problem - when I took my systems out of the box they booted into Windows just fine.  After I activated software licenses and joined them to the  Domain - It would no longer boot, just a gave me a continuous loop "Preparing Automatic Repair"! after many hours of trying to solve with Dell support, who did not help - I went into Setup and disabled Secure Boot - now the systems boot fine - what I don't know is what changed?  we just joined it to the domain and bang - no more boot with secure boot enabled.   Hmmm any ideas?

March 19th, 2018 17:00

Let It Finish Overnight
First of all, “Repairing disk errors” is triggered by automatic CHKDSK on booting. As we all know, CHKDSK indeed plays a good role in scanning and repairing disk problems. Plus, most of time, CHKDSK may take a pretty long time to finish, such as 4 hours or more. So, it’s advisable to leave your computer running overnight to let it finish. But, the next day when you wake up and check PC, if “Repairing disk errors” issue persists, you can move on to try the other means.
https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/windows-10-repairing-disk-errors/
Solution 3. Replace the HDD and Install Windows

7 Posts

June 20th, 2018 18:00

I have the exact same scenario and tried all that are written here with no luck :(

I am Not sure why Microsoft intentionally pushed OS update to make us handicapped!!

It was up and running as of yesterday and overnight push just put me under the water.

Any help on just a fix for the same issue without loosing any data ?

Thanks in advance 

Ash

7 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 22:00

Finally, I got it up without loosing any data and back to my original state.....

How,

Just followed the steps and it worked for me!!

How to disable-signed-driver-enforcement?

1 Message

March 28th, 2019 15:00

None of the fixes on this board have worked for me. I did find a fix elsewhere.

Here is what worked for me.

• Press and hold F2 when starting up to get to the BIOS
  • Go to the Security Section
  • Uncheck “PTT Security”

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 29th, 2019 04:00

Newer Dells do not ship with a TPM 1.2 chip any longer, but will use INTEL  PTT (Platform Trust Technology) for TPM 2.0

I have never seen automatic repair work.

Reinstall on a new blank hard drive and put the internal drive into an enclosure or dock to recover data.

1 Message

February 27th, 2020 11:00

Had this same problem.

This is what worked for me:

Shut off my computer.

waited a few minutes then,

Held down power button until computer restarted.

When I saw the dreaded " black screen with circling beads", and message again.

I Yanked out my USB thumbdrive, I had inserted in my front USB port.,used for backing up my files.

This seemed shock the computer out of its "coma", and caused it to go to my welcome screen.

Everything working fine now, but am afraid to reinsert my thumbdrive for backup.

Was my USB thumbdrive infected with a virus???

Don't know, but will try to scan it with my Webroot anti virus program later.

Hope this works for you too.

tubebob

1 Message

May 21st, 2021 02:00

This didn't work for me.

No Events found!