Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2017 06:00

Bitlocker recovery screen on Windows 10 Home version

I'm trying to help my daughter who is away at college with her XPS 13 laptop purchased June 2017.  It's running Windows 10 Home.  She took it out and opened it up after class and a blue screen with BitLocker looking for the recovery key was present.  From what I've read, bitlocker isn't available on the home version, only pro and enterprise.  She can't enter the recovery key since it was never turned on, even if it was available.  I told her it will probably need to be reformatted since it's looking for something that is not available.

Has anyone seen this before? Any recommendations?  She's taking it in to the tech center later today.

I forgot to add that when she goes to her Microsoft account and looks at her devices is shows Windows 10 home AND BitLocker ON, although it was never activated.  The "Get BitLocker recovery keys" link brings her to her Onedrive account.  She says she doesn't see the recovery key anywhere on her OneDrive account.

Thanks,

George

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 13th, 2017 06:00

Have her go to the link and expand the how to get recovery keys.

She might be able to go to her Microsoft account and search for Recovery Key.

support.microsoft.com/.../windows-8-bitlocker-recovery-keys-frequently-asked-questions

8 Posts

September 13th, 2017 07:00

Thanks for the reply.  

I had her go to that page and try to get the key via her MS Account. The BitLocker Recovery Key link kept asking her to get a MS SharePoint app.   I had her use a Chrome Incognito tab and she finally got the link to get her recovery key to work correctly.  After signing in to her MS account it said what she was looking for no longer exists or doesn't have permission to view (or something to that effect).  So, no dice on getting a recovery key to an encryption program that was never turned on by anyone and that is supposed to save the key to your MS account yet is not recoverable.  Very frustrating on  an expensive,  2 month old machine.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I have never seen anything concerning a SharePoint App.  My 9365 system came from the factory with the OS partition encrypted.  My systems show BitLocker keys for each one and not just the 9365.

Since I don't know what SharePoint is, does she run that app?  I will need to do some research to see if I can find where she may need to look for such a key.

8 Posts

The Sharpoint app came about when she was logging into her MS account.  You need an Office 365 account to make it work, I guess.  My only other thought is that somehow the key is in an account under her college email MS account, if she even has one.  According to what I've read the key is supposed to be automatically saved in your MS account.  The tech shop at the school can't help except to reformat and reinstall windows.  Thanks again for your help.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 13th, 2017 09:00

When I get mine, I am logged in with my Microsoft Account.  The link takes me to onedrive.live.com/RecoveryKey

8 Posts

September 13th, 2017 14:00

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work.  I spoke with Dell support and they confirmed that BitLocker is installed on this machine.  It would have been nice to know that and have an opportunity to print, backup, or write down the key.  I had my daughter call Dell Warranty support and they weren't very helpful.  They said sorry, you need to restore it.  And that was it.  No info on how to restore or reset, where the key should be, how to acess it in the future, how to turn off bitlocker if desired, nothing.  It came with a good warranty so I expect better.  I told her they need to help FIX it.  

On a side note, after selecting skip this drive on the bitlocker screen and  selecting the troubleshoot button neither the reset this pc or factory image restore button do anything.  Nothing. Nada.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 13th, 2017 14:00

I have never need any key other than the one online and that was for some reinstall or reset.  Did she find that key?

If the OS partition is encrypted, you can decrypt it just by logging in with a Microsoft account, which will enable the decrypt option.  But, as I mentioned, I did have one situation where I had to use the online key.  I do not think Dell has that key.  The reason is that I did a clean install of Win 10 Pro on the 9365 and it was also encrypted.

I am assuming the system is already activated, which you have to be online to do.  

8 Posts

September 14th, 2017 07:00

Her MS account says the key doesn't exist.  The drive needs to have Windows 10 reinstalled.  The reset PC and factory image restore functions don't work either.  So, it's going to the University tech repair shop where I will have to pay to get it done even thought it's under Dell's premium warranty.  They were willing to fix it but needed 3-5 days to ship it both ways.  My daughter's in college and some of her homework is only via computer, so that is not an option.  

Thanks again for you help.

1 Message

April 6th, 2018 07:00

I am having the same problem with a computer I recently received back from Dell when the "Main Logic Board was replaced."  Interestingly enough, I bought this computer in January 2018 for over $1,000.00, it is now April 6, 2018, between sending it in for repairs on a brand new hardware and now a software problem, its the most expensive paperweight I've ever purchased; haven't even used it once. What a rip-off Dell.

No Events found!