Start a Conversation

Unsolved

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 13th, 2018 18:00

Windows Device Application Guard

Has anybody activated the Windows Device Application Guard that's hidden in Microsoft Edge on PCs running Win 10 Pro to create an Edge browser session that's sandboxed in a virtual machine from the rest of the system?

Is it as good as other sandbox apps at protecting the system, and/or does it cause any problems, speed issues, etc?

(Sorry, it's not in Win 10 Home.)

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

October 14th, 2018 10:00

Until I saw your post, I was not aware of this Edge browser feature (and I'm not a fan of the Edge browser, choosing IE 11 as my default browser).

But for those with Win 10 Pro and the April 2018 update version, here is all you need to know to enable and use it:
https://www.howtogeek.com/357937/how-to-enable-windows-defender-application-guard-for-microsoft-edge/

My first thoughts are that it is a bit clunky to use and configure. I'm not sure what advantages it has over using SandboxIE, which works with all browsers I have used. It did not seem to slow down my Dell XPS 13 laptop with 8 Mb of memory. I note that 6 Mb of memory is a minimum requirement to use this feature.

Perhaps it is time to reconsider the merits and relative safety of Edge and IE 11.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 14th, 2018 16:00

@joe53  -Thanks for being our Guinea pig!  :Wink:

Like you, I prefer IE11 but with increasing numbers of web sites no longer fully supporting IE11 (like here and other Lithium-based forums), it's time to start considering alternatives. My choices come down to Edge and FF. 

The WDAG feature in Edge on Win 10 Pro sounds interesting and useful, given all the mischief hackers can cause these days  Since it requires a minimum of 6 GB of RAM that makes it sound like a potential resources hog. So I have concerns about its effects on browsing in the sandbox while other apps are running in other windows at the same time.

Please post about any further experience you have with WDAG  -good-bad-ugly- to help users make an informed choice. And I guess we'll also have to see if WDAG gets any improvements in the Fall 2018 update, whenever that gets released to the general public...

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

October 14th, 2018 22:00

I misspoke. The WDAG feature  in Edge requires 8, not 6 Mb of memory. Either way I'm covered.

I have changed my Win 10 default browser to Edge to re-evaluate it. It was over a year ago that I rejected Edge, for reasons I cannot recall. Maybe Edge has improved. I will do all my internet surfing using WDAG, and report back.

I must confess that my main production desktop unit uses Win 7, and IE 11. I am slow to adopt new software. 

I'm posting this using Windows Edge browser. 

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 15th, 2018 11:00

Keep us posted. Thanks!

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

October 31st, 2018 18:00

After 2 weeks with the Edge Browser (with WDAG enabled) as my default in Win 10, I have dumped it. It significantly slowed down my startups, restarts, opening websites - just about everything. For no obvious benefit, apart from potential increased security. It was a price I was unwilling to pay.

One interesting note is that whenever I ran CCleaner (With Edge as the default browser) CCleaner would tell me to shut down Edge - even when this browser was not open. Obviously Edge was running something in the background that was slowing me down and sending who knows what back to the mothership.

I have returned to PaleMoon as my default browser.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

November 1st, 2018 11:00

@joe53  - Excellent feedback, thanks!

Sounds like WDAG still needs work and so I probably won't be using it with Edge on my Win 10 lappy any time soon, or even Edge without it.

Been using FF for this forum since it's unfriendly to IE11, but FF is terribly slow on both my Win 10 lappy and on my Win 7 desktop.

Caught between a rock and a hard place... :Angel:

May 4th, 2023 22:00

I am also investigating this simply because I need to

1. open untrusted PDFs.
  2. prefer Microsoft solutions.
  3. Adobe which can Sandbox PDF but because it is software virtualization which is inferior to hardware virtualization of Microsoft Application Guard.

I appreciate more comments.

No Events found!