Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

July 10th, 2007 17:00

Windows Critical/Security updates for July

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-036 [Critical]

Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Excel Could Allow Remote Code Execution (936542)

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-037 [Important]

Vulnerability in Microsoft Office Publisher Could Allow Remote Code Execution (936548)

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-038 [Moderate]

Vulnerability in Windows Vista Firewall Could Allow Information Disclosure (935807)

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-039 [Critical]

Vulnerability in Windows Active Directory Could Allow Remote Code Execution (926122)

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-040 [Critical]

Vulnerabilities in .NET Framework Could Allow Remote Code Execution (931212)

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-041 [Important]

Vulnerability in Microsoft Internet Information Services Could Allow Remote Code Execution (939373)      

(a vulnerability in Microsoft Windows XP SP2 running Internet Information Services 5.1)

Notes:   Not all updates will applicable to YOUR system... Be sure to use Windows Update to determine precisely which ones you actually need.

Message Edited by ky331 on 07-10-2007 03:32 PM

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

July 10th, 2007 18:00

While not documented in the above list, when I accessed the Windows Updates site, it also found a suggested  "High Priority" update KB936357 for "Windows XP for Intel Processors"... which, upon further investigation, seems that it should apply only to some of Intel's Core 2 Duo/Quad/Extreme processors.

Yet, on this one particular machine [which found the update], I only have a Pentium 4.   
EDIT:  It's likewise showing up for me on a system with a Core Duo (which is not a Core 2 Duo) running XP SP2 Pro;

So why is Windows Update recommending this update for me??  
Is it erroneous advice? --- Should I ignore it?  
Or should it be applied regardless??

Put another way,  are there any downside risks in applying this update to any machine that finds it among the windows updates?   If there is a downside, we need to warn people, as I think the average user automatically downloads all "critical" / "high-priority" updates.

Therefore, I would suggest you [temporarily] hold-off on this particular update, until we know for sure whether or not it should be downloaded "in general".

Message Edited by ky331 on 07-11-2007 10:13 AM

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

July 10th, 2007 19:00

Sharp eye there!

This article indeed does say that
"the following Intel processors may be affected:
... Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo desktop processor, Intel Core 2 Quad desktop processor, and Intel Core 2 Extreme processor".
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/936357

I too was offered this KB936357 update by MSU, which I installed, even though I also have an Intel Pentium D. Perhaps it is related to the fact this CPU has 2 Cores/2 Logical Processors.

At any rate, it installed without problems. My rule of thumb (ever since the WGA Notification fiasco) is to install only those priority updates that can be uninstalled via Add/Remove. (Clicking on " details" at the update site will give this info). And the KB936357 update can be uninstalled.

5 Posts

July 11th, 2007 11:00

ACK...  That was not the issue.  If the Mod needs to move this please do so.  I am having a problem with w being wr when pressed.

Thanks

5 Posts

That is correct KY.  It does become annoying.

5 Posts

Has anybody had issues with this patch?  After I installed it my 'w' turned to 'wr' on my D600

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

bizzt,

just to make sure we're understanding you... are you saying that each time you press the "W" key on your keyboard, it is instead generating the two-letters "WR" ??    And that this never happened before you applied this patch??
No Events found!