Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

March 29th, 2007 14:00

WinPatrol 2007 v 11.2 now available

The newest build of WinPatrol 2007 is now online.

• Major performance improvement reading the Windows registry when duplicate reading is being done by other security programs.
  • Right-click access to a programs Folder and Properties including Vista Security settings, Digital Signatures and Shadow copies
  • Fixed a bug moving some Startup Folder items back from Delayed Startup to normal startup folder.
  • Added backup method to launch programs that failed to start at the appropriate time.

• As always, just go to www.WinPatrol.com

•  

• PLUS members, just download the newest free version and Scotty should automatically activate your PLUS features.  Everyone else, just overwrite your old WinPatrol with the newest free build EDIT:  SEE POSTS BELOW ABOUT POSSIBLE INSTALLATION PROBLEMS, in terms of multiple entries appearing in the ADD/REMOVE program list.

Message Edited by ky331 on 03-29-2007 06:23 PM

771 Posts

March 29th, 2007 19:00

**Everyone else, just overwrite your old WinPatrol with the newest free build.** I did that, and had two versions of WinPatrol in my Add/Remove Programs list, one of which could not be uninstalled there. To get rid of this 2nd entry of WinPatrol, I had to do some heavy registry editing. I would recommend uninstalling your current version of WinPatrol, rebooting, then installing the new version.

Message Edited by Lawnmowerguy on 03-29-2007 03:57 PM

8.8K Posts

March 29th, 2007 20:00

deleted

Message Edited by zbestwun2001 on 03-29-2007 02:01 PM

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

Lawn [and Steve],

For what it's worth, the directions above are not mine, but rather, were copied/pasted directly from WinPatrol's Blog-site (by its author):

Looking now at my own list of Add/Remove programs, I also see multiple entries... in fact, there are 3 that are simply labeled WinPatrol... plus a 4th, labeled " WinPatrol 2007 Restore/Remove first".   At this point, I don't plan to experiment (tamper) with any of these, as WinPatrol seems to be working on my system [and I have no desire to "play" with my registry].

I would concur, however, that if someone is concerned not only about updating their copy of WinPatrol, but also, trying to keep their Add/Remove program list "squeaky clean", that they should follow your suggestion to first remove the old version, REBOOT (required!), and then install the new one.

Message Edited by ky331 on 03-29-2007 06:25 PM

8.8K Posts

On this program don't overwrite it.

You will get double entries in the Add/Remove folder like Lawnmoverguy got and so did I.

It's fixable but a pain, just uninstall the older version and reboot, and reinstall the new version.

zb1

Message Edited by zbestwun2001 on 03-29-2007 02:41 PM

5.8K Posts

I have WinPatrol Plus, followed their instructions for install to the letter, and I also now have 3 entries for WP (all different sizes), plus the 4th mentioned by ky331.

I'm not sure of the ramifications of uninstalling old versions first would have as far as a succesful install of the paid version (since you actually download the free version, which apparantly then recognizes you have the Plus version) so if you go this route be sure to first write down your Name and Reg code info from the Plus tab before uninstalling.

I also have been unable to remove WP fom my startup list- it keeps reappearing after a reboot, which is new behaviour, and multiple attempts resulted in severe system instability and inactivation of my ZA firewall (since restored). I have made inquiries in the WP forum, and will report back when I've sorted this out.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

March 29th, 2007 23:00

Glad I was slow to get around to doing this download. I was able to delete the old version and I think I did a reboot afterwards. But the new downoad was just 5 MB or so if memory serves, and I believe the old version was something like 12-13 MB. Anyway, it didn't seem to want to install, so I'll wait until things get sorted out before attempting to download it again.
In the meantime, Zone Alarm appears to want to update so will go with that for now. Sorry you guys are having all the troubles, hopefully WP can get it fixed.

5.8K Posts

March 30th, 2007 01:00

Problem resolved:

Basically I successfully uninstalled all 4 WinPatrol entries in Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs, starting with "WinPatrol 2007 Restore/Remove First".

Re-downloaded the latest free version of WP ( wpsetup.exe, 5.41MB) and installed it. This installed the paid version, presumably because I didn't mess with the registry, nor delete any of the WP files/folders left after the uninstalls.

Re-booted, and confirmed I still had the paid version. Removed it from my startup list, rebooted and this time no problem.

And in my Add/Remove Programs list, I now see only one entry: " WinPatrol" (Size: 1.03MB).

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

March 30th, 2007 12:00

Following Joe's suggestion, I've also cleaned-up my Add/Remove list.

I started with "WinPatrol 2007 Restore/Remove First", which simply gave me a message that this program was no longer present [or something to that effect], and then deleted the entry from my Add/Remove list.

Next, I removed each of the 3 entries for WinPatrol, in reverse chronological order [i.e., starting with the newest, working backwards toward the oldest].  
Joe:   Did you remove yours in any particular order???

I rebooted, [re-]installed the new version, and everything seems to be okay.   WinPatrol is working, and I have only one entry in my Add/Remove list.

5.8K Posts

March 31st, 2007 11:00

I removed them in reverse order just like you did, ky331.

WP continues to function normally.
No Events found!