Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2005 10:00

Web P2P spyware

AOL is detecting spyware called P2P.  I have blocked it, but each time I run the search it reappears.  AOL helpdesk say I have to remove it directly from the registry. Spybot, Adware, and the microsoft utility don't detect it at all.  Any help please anyone (for a novice)

2.2K Posts

May 4th, 2005 16:00

One of the experts on this board may reply directly, but I wanted to ask for further details on your system status.

I presume your AOL web browser service includes an anti-spyware scanner. Does it report the item as being present but "quarrantined" or disabled or blocked somehow?

Manual registry manipulation can be complex for a novice. It may be recommended that you run a program called Hijack This (HJT) and post a log of it's scan results for experts to analyze. The program does not identify spyware, it reports information related to software on your system. In many cases, malware can be identified by experts and a course of action may be advised that is easier than manual manipulation of the registry.

The Hijack This board has information about the program, where and how to download, installation and use, at the top of that board. (It was previously within this board, but as a powerful and popular tool, it now has a dedicated board.) I suspect HJT may be advised once one of the experts reviews your post, and you may wish to review the FAQ on that board in preparation. You may even decide to post there, unless someone here advises another solution.

The identification as "P2P" indicates this may be related to software that enables file-sharing. You certainly don't want someone else determining which files on your system will be shared over the internet, or which files might possibly even be "shared" to you from the internet.

GM

Message Edited by GreyMack on 05-04-2005 10:35 AM

4 Posts

May 4th, 2005 19:00

Thanks for the reply.  The AOL spyware protection tool was detecting WebP2P in the registry and blocking it (quarantining it).  I then deleted it from the quarantine and re-scanned.  The utility basically seemed to find it again in the registry.  Since I posted the original message, however, I found another spyware detection program which found WebP2P and which seems to have been able to delete it (it is no longer showing in the AOL scan).  So the problem seems to have been solved.  Thanks for your help.

31 Posts

May 26th, 2005 21:00

Would you mind if I ask which spyware detector program you downloaded that detected WebP2P? I have AOL and everytime I run the computer it finds WebP2P (as well as Better Memory Reader unfortunately) but Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy nor CWShredder seems to find it. I really want to get rid of it :\

4 Posts

May 28th, 2005 05:00

The anti-spyware program which detected and removed Web P2P spyware for me was Aluria Spyware Eliminator.  It removed it on the second attempt and it no longer shows on AOL or Aluria spyware searches.  Be prepared to pay though, as the software isn't free!

2.2K Posts

May 28th, 2005 18:00

Aluria provides the spyware scanner for AOL. Aluria' partnership with WhenU, a spyware/adware distributor, has raised some suspicion.

In some instances, disreputable vendors report ficticious malware on a PC to entice the user to purchase their product. If AOL is providing a version of Aluria Spyware Eliminator for free, why doesn't it remove the detected items without need for an additional purchase?

GM

31 Posts

May 28th, 2005 22:00

AOL does not provide Aluria. It has its own separate spyware program to detect malware/spyware/etc. I guess he bought Aluria and found it. But I guess because Aluria is partnered with WhenU, maybe I should ignore both Aluria and AOL? I don't know what to do.

4 Posts

June 5th, 2005 06:00

Yes I did purchase the Aluria Spyware Eliminator, however I didn't realise Aluria was affiliated with AOL in any way at the time. I was surprised to find this out and also the connection with WhenU.  It is difficult to know who to trust when it comes to spyware eradication.  I have a number of spyware detection programs loaded, and they NEVER find the same spyware on my PC.  Ad aware 6 only ever finds data miners (which are never detected by the other software): Spybot rarely detects anything, Microsoft antispyware has NEVER found anything, the AOL software occasionally finds stuff but never the same things as Aluria Spyware Eliminator.  Spyware Eliminator almost always finds stuff it rates as severe or elevated.  So how do you determine what is a poor detection program and which are false positives or bogus detections?  

It is, quite frankly, almost impossible to know who to trust.

No Events found!