Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2011 10:00

Virus Removal

Hi all, I have a Dell Studio 15 laptop I purchased in 2009. I recently contracted a virus called Mal/FakeAvCn-C. My computer came preloaded with Windows Security Center, which I believe is turned on; My university also provided me with Sophos Endpoint Security and Control. The virus was moved to the quarantine area of my sophos protection, but it is not able to clean up four items, all labeled Mal/FakeAvCn-C.  Now my computer will not allow me to open things such as Microsoft office(something to do with no association to a program), I also cannot use the scroll bad on the side of my mouse, among other minor issues.  My question is this: is there a way to clean up this virus without buying a new program? I tried contacting Sophos support but they were not able to help because it was offered free from my school.  I currently have Windows XP, and many files on my computer I don't want to lose.  Would i be best off buying Windows 7 and moving the files I want saved to an external hardrive? Thanks!

Alec

20.5K Posts

December 12th, 2011 11:00

It was probably just an incomplete removal. There are other tools that will clean up what your AV missed.

To answer one of your questions, it is always a good idea to save backups of your files that are important to you, regardless of the condition of your computer.

My suggestion is to post at SpywareHammer and have the staff trained in malware removal walk you through the diagnostic logs and a cleanup. Click on the link in my signature below. Help is free, but you will need to register there.

In addition, there are other options listed at the top of this forum. Some are free; some require a fee. Please use only one resource. It can be counter-productive to have too many people trying to help.

Good luck! :emotion-1:

No Events found!