15.3K Posts

July 24th, 2018 09:00

Updates 7/24/18 - CCleaner

CCleaner v5.45.6611 (24 Jul 2018)

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history

- Removed Windows.old cleaning rule
- Fixed a crash in Disk Analyzer
- Added more detailed reporting for bug fixes and product improvements

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

Either be careful to UNcheck any pre-checked offers for bundled programs/toolbars (unless you really want them)...
in particular, be very careful to look for pre-checked offers to install avast antivirus and/or Google Chrome browser...
or else, wait a few days until the SLIM build is released.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

July 24th, 2018 11:00

From https://www.ccleaner.com/news/release-announcements/2018/7/24/ccleaner-v5456611

CCleaner v5.45.6611

We're pleased to announce the latest release of CCleaner for Windows.

In this release, we’ve made stability improvements and added better reporting to allow us to deliver faster bug fixes and software improvements.

System Cleaning

• Removed Windows.old cleaning rule (wiping this folder after a Windows update breaks certain graphics drivers)

Disk Analyzer

• Fixed a crash if analyzing with the 'Everything' option checked

User Preferences

• Removed a GDPR privacy setting that was not applicable (more info)

Legal

• Added a check to prevent the use of the application in embargoed countries

Reporting

• CCleaner now sends a heartbeat every 12 hours which reports up-to-date usage statistics to allow for faster delivery of bug fixes and product improvements

(With acknowledgment to Winchester73 for posting at LandzDown)

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

July 25th, 2018 00:00

The Slim version of v5.45.6611 is available today- no "few days" wait required! A welcome change in behaviour.

However I note that if you install the new version over an older one (in my case v5.42) not all of your previous option choices/settings are carried over.

Options>Advanced>Skip User Account Control Warning, unchecked by me, was re-checked by default with the new version.
Options>Monitoring>Enable Active Monitoring, unchecked by me, was re-checked by default with the new version.

Also, after running a cleaning scan, a CCleaner icon appears in your Notification Tray, indicating that "CCleaner monitoring is active". Even with all active scanning options UNchecked in settings. A right-click on this icon offers no option to exit this program (unlike previous versions). One has to wonder why a house-cleaning, non-security utility is so anxious to monitor your system, and remain resident. I can't think of any reason beneficial to the home user.

If you access CCleaner>Tools>Startup, you will see this entry listed as "enabled":
HKCU:Run CCleaner Monitoring Piriform Ltd "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /MONITOR
If you high-light this entry and disable it, this monitoring (and Icon) is gone. A certain irony there, that Ccleaner can disable its own Startup program that isn't even listed in WinPatrol PLUS Startup.

Just an FYI.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

July 30th, 2018 10:00

Again, per Winchester73 @ Landzdown:

Here's what we're doing:

We will separate out Active Monitoring (junk cleaning alerts and browser cleaning alerts) and heartbeat (anonymous usage analytics) features in the UI and we will give you the ability to control these individually. You will have the options of enabling all, some or none of these functions, and this functionality will be uniquely controlled from the UI.
    We will take this opportunity to rename the Advanced Monitoring features in CCleaner to make their functions clearer.
    We will deliver these changes to the software in the coming weeks.

Full notice here: https://forum.piriform.com/topic/52360-changes-in-v545-and-your-feedback/

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

July 31st, 2018 19:00

Thanks for that link to the CCleaner forum, ky331. I don't frequent that forum much, but was not surprised to see there was a significant community backlash against the monitoring behaviour of the latest version that I also objected to.  I note that posts over the last 24 hours continue to complain.

I'm willing to cut Avast and Piriform some slack, based on their previous history and utility. But they had certainly better clean up their act. I don't have objections to them collecting anonymized data, as long as I explicitly grant my permission, and can disable it. They failed on both counts, and risk losing trust.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

August 1st, 2018 06:00

Martin Brinkmann (ghacks.net) advice:

Dont install or upgrade to CCleaner 5.45

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/01/ccleaner-5-45-dont-install/

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

August 1st, 2018 20:00

I agree with that advice, and have reverted to V. 5.42, that exhibits no questionable behavior. (Whenever I install a program or new version, I keep the installer program for occasions such as this. Not all prior installer versions, just the immediate predecessor version that worked well).

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2018 20:00

With acknowledgement to Corrine, for posting at Landzdown:

The following was copied/pasted from https://forum.piriform.com/topic/52360-changes-in-v545-and-your-feedback/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-298509

Thank you all for your continued feedback (positive and negative, it all helps). I wanted to give a quick progress update on what we're doing. We’re currently working on separating out cleaning functionality from analytics reporting and offering more user control options which will be remembered when CCleaner is closed. We’re also creating a factsheet to share which will outline the data we collect, for which purposes and how it is processed.

Today we have removed v5.45 and reverted to v5.44 as the main download for CCleaner while we work on a new version with several key improvements. You can grab version 5.44 from one of the links below:

(File hashes here: https://forum.piriform.com/topic/52095-ccleaner-v5446575/)

Software Changes

As stated before, we'll split cleaning alerts (which don't send any data) from UI trend data (which is anonymous and only there to measure the user experience) and provide a separate setting for each in the user preferences. Some of these features run as a separate process from the UI: we'll restore visibility of this in the notifications area, and you'll be able to close it down from that icon menu as before.

We understand the importance of this to you all. This work is our number 1 priority and we are taking the time to get it right in the next release. There are numerous changes required, so that does mean it will take weeks, not days. While we work on this, we have removed version 5.45 and reinstated version 5.44.

No Events found!