Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

August 17th, 2008 14:00

The facts on Zango adware

Not wanting to take a previous thread off-topic, I post this here.

The member "ZangoSupport", clearly posting as an official representative of Zango in that thread, stated:
"In the above post Zango is listed as a threat.
We would like to correct this listing... "
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_virus&message.id=70112

Member melboy posted 3 links in rebuttal (in that thread). Just to expand on this:

The truth is Zango is the spawn of 180Solutions, (notorious adware from the past):

"Zango has stated on their website that any Zango application can be completely uninstalled by using the (Microsoft Windows) Add or Remove Programs function. However, Zango may appear as a browser plug-in or in some other form which cannot be removed by the officially recommended procedure.

Utilities exist for the purpose of detecting, and in some cases removing Zango-like software. Some software advisers have recommended that individuals seeking to remove Zango-like software from their computers search for instructions specific to their particular platform, application, and installation."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zango

Spybot S&D currently detects as adware:

Zango.AntiSpamBar
Zango.Seekmo
Zango.ShoppingReport
Zango.WeatherDPA
Zango.WindUpdates

SpywareBlaster currently places at least 2 Zango sites in my IE Restricted Zone

My MVPS Hosts file currently blocks  over 100 ***.zango.com sites, many of which would not make it past the Dell smut filter.

SiteHound and McAfee SiteAdvisor both flag Zango's website with a warning of it being adware.

If you don't consider adware a threat, and don't mind it being flagged by your defensive program alerts, by all means use Zango. But it irritates me that purveyors of this adware post such misrepresentations and advertise their junk in a thread such as this.

im not clicking on there webpage that magical uninstalls my problems on a thread that i made and they posted on, im sorry to bring that up, its sickning and now i need an alternate way to delete it.

Thank you, someone had to make a fix for all of zango adware and malware programs.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

@Mr.Kevinhelperguy wrote:

im not clicking on there webpage that magical uninstalls my problems on a thread that i made and they posted on, im sorry to bring that up, its sickning and now i need an alternate way to delete it.

A wise choice to avoid their advice. Stick with your original thread for further removal advice. No need to apologise for bringing it up- it was ZangoSupport I was responding to.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

August 17th, 2008 16:00

a consideration/caveat for anyone choosing to follow the preceding suggestion:

"Go to control panel>system>click turn off system restore..."

(and presumably to be followed, at a later point, by turning system restore back on)

in so doing, you will completely remove ALL of your existing restore points!!!   it's an "all-or-nothing" proposition.   you can't simply remove "a few" bad restore points, you have to purge them all.

so, when you turn system restore back on, and look to see what restore points are still available to you, the answer is NONE (except perhaps for a brand new point created at that moment).   meaning you have nothing around to rely on, should you need it!

you make a good point there, seeing as im regedit and having system restore turned off....

I have a fix for most zango programs,

Go to control panel>system>click turn off system restore, then control panel>Add or remove programs>Zango>uninstall (also for hotbar removal),then Control panel>internet setting>reset web setting or whatever its called for your verison of windows.
And congratulations, no more zango annoyances!

20.5K Posts

August 20th, 2008 23:00

bump
No Events found!