Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

December 13th, 2013 04:00

Sandboxie conflict with MS13-097 Cumulative IE update

Users of Sandboxie 4.06 [including myself] are reporting a (minor?) conflict with MS13-097 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (kb 2898785):  after installing this update, Sandboxie generates a warning message:  SBIE2205 Service not implemented:  NtOpenKeyEx (00000008)

This warning has been confirmed for Sandboxing IE11 on Win7x64 systems.   It might apply to other configurations as well.

Sandboxie BETA Version 4.07.05 suppresses the message, going on the assumption that this particular warning does not impact security.

Those interested can read more here:  http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=17450

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

December 13th, 2013 18:00

Well that is a nuisance pop-up on my Win7/ IE 11 systems.

But it does not seem to interfere with SBIE otherwise. I'm reluctant to try beta versions, so I'll wait this one out, for the next stable version of SandboxIE.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

December 14th, 2013 04:00

Joe,

As you know, I don't use sandboxie regularly [otherwise, I would have encountered the message a few days ago], so I guess I can live with it until a new "official" version is released.

Assuming it is "merely" a nuisance pop-up, but not a security issue, I believe you [or others] can tell the current (non-beta) sandboxie to suppress that particular message in the future.

December 15th, 2013 11:00

Joe,

Sorry, forgot to tell you what version of Sandboxie I am using: Sandboxie v. 4.04 (32 bit}

December 15th, 2013 11:00

Hi Joe,

Not sure if this is exactly your problem with Sandboxie, but I too had a pop up the other day right after a windows 7 home premium (32bit) update. After the update and a reboot of my computer I launced IE 11 via Sandboxie and immediately got the SBIE 2205 popup. So I did a system restore back a couple of days. Within an hour I received the updates ready to be installed. I opened windows updates and decided to uncheck all but one to be allowed to be installed, trying to see exactly which one was causing the SBIE 2205 error. There was this one that mentioned Internet Explorer so figured it must be the one. I allowed only that one to be installed. (after I did the system restore I did NOT get the SBIE 2205 error). After the update of this one:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 (KB2898785)

The SBIE 2205 was back! So had to do another system restore to remove that pop up. Re booted and went into windows updates once again and right clicked on the "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 (KB2898785)" then clicked HIDE. Checked the rest of the updates that were available and let them update. Rebooted once again and since then I have had no SBIE 2205 popup error. The 2205 may not be your problem but my son in law had a different popup error and did the same procedure as I have mentioned and it got rid of his popup also. Hope this helps.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

December 15th, 2013 13:00

Scott,

From a security perspective, it is far better to allow/install the update for IE11 [Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 (KB2898785)] and then tell Sandboxie to HIDE the SBIE 2205 message --- which it will due "indefinitely" ---

than to refuse the IE11 update in order to keep Sandboxie "quiet".

When Sandboxie comes out with a new version [4.07.05 or later]--- presumably, one that will either fix the problem or automatically suppress that message --- you can then test things by reinstating Sandboxie's detection of that message by right-clicking on the Sandboxie icon in your system tray, selecting Show Window, clicking on Configure, and then selecting to Forget Hidden Messages.   If that message still comes back in a newer version, I would just hide it again.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

December 15th, 2013 14:00

Thanks Scott.

I agree with ky331. I'm not sure that hiding that latest IE cumulative security update is the safest way to go. It prevents the latest IE security patches from being downloaded/installed.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about that popup, which I suspect is just a minor incompatabilty between SBIE and this latest IE update. The popup does not prevent SBIE from working. Whether or not SBIE protection is degraded because of this conflict has not yet been determined.

The latest stable version of SBIE is 4.06, which is what I'm using. It still demonstrates this popup, which I choose to ignore and close on my Win 7/IE11 systems. You can upgrade to this 4.06 version internally, or download it from here: http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie

I guess what I'm saying is that I prefer to keep IE fully patched from MS, even if it conflicts with SBIE.

FYI, SBIE has released a beta version (4.07.05) that eliminates this popup issue. I don't recommend beta versions in general, and prefer to wait for the latest stable version, which I suspect will be available soon.

Download link for most recent beta version 4.07.05:

32-bit
http://www.sandboxie.com/SandboxieInstall32-407-05.exe
64-bit
http://www.sandboxie.com/SandboxieInstall64-407-05.exe

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

January 20th, 2014 05:00

This error has been fixed via the release of Sandboxie 4.0.8 (19 January 2014)

No Events found!