Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

October 8th, 2014 14:00

Reminder: Pale Moon 25 will NOT run under XP... BUT....

I see that MajorGeeks is now mirroring PaleMoon 25: 

As is often the case, they've "jumped the gun", as the PaleMoon site is still showing only v24.x (as I write this).   While MajorGeeks may (??) have the finalized version, it's probably best to wait and be sure, until it's acknowledged by the PaleMoon site.

The point of this post is to remind users of PaleMoon that the new version 25 (and future versions) are *NOT* XP compatible.   Presumably, the internal updater on XP will not find any newer version than 24.x.  

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

October 9th, 2014 14:00

The following has been copied/pasted from https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5877

"Pale Moon 25.0 has not officially been released yet.

Apparently the binaries for Pale Moon 25.0 were leaked shortly after they were uploaded to the internal distribution network (by way of scanners for potentially existing file names on the release mirrors).

From there on, those binaries were distributed to at least a few software sites (e.g. MajorGeeks, Softexia, etc.) from where people have since downloaded these leaked "early distribution" binaries.

A few very important points about this situation:

• The publication date is tomorrow, Oct 10th. Everyone is strongly urged to wait until the official release.
  • No support will be given for these early-leaked binaries. Please install the final binaries after publication.
  • Software sites are urged to not publish these binaries ahead of time as "final".
  • These binaries may not be final and may have some last minute adjustments to them yet, in which case what is published is incorrect to be distributed as "release". So once again, do not redistribute them ahead of time, please.
  • No support will be given for any early support requests for Pale Moon 25.
  • Important additional information with regards to extension compatibility does apply to this new major version, and some popular Firefox extensions do not work out of the box. This extension compatibility information will also be posted on the release day.

This situation and resulting confusion would not have occurred if some people (you know who you are) had restrained themselves and prevented early redistribution of binaries. Please, for the future, don't do this again, especially for a major release version that needs potential users to be thoroughly informed about the changes."

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

October 10th, 2014 09:00

Pale Moon 25 has now been officially released.   See http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

October 10th, 2014 20:00

Well, I figured it was time to abandon Pale Moon on XP in favor of Firefox.

Unfortunately, FF would not retain any of my login cookies, no matter how much I fiddled with its settings. Since I only use XP for limited internet sites that I believe to be secure (V & S, SpywareHammer, and a few others), I'm going to keep PM as the default browser for now, and accept the risk. It's just too much of a pain to have to log in and remember passwords every time.

I'll just have to trust that even an unsupported PM is too small a target for most hackers, and that my other layers will fill the breach in any holes.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

October 11th, 2014 04:00

With acknowledgment to Corrine for noting this from Pale Moon's Facebook page:

Windows XP users may be happy to know about this fully endorsed - 3rd party contributed - version specifically for Windows XP! Both x86 and x64 supported.

This 3rd party contributed build of Pale Moon --- by Binary Outcast  -- aims to take up the responsibility for offering a targeted build for our friends using XP and XP x64.

http://binaryoutcast.com/software/projects/pm4xp/

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

October 11th, 2014 15:00

Why do some extensions no longer work in Pale Moon 25.0?

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5932

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

October 12th, 2014 23:00

ky:

Thanks for the info on the Binary Outcast version of  PM that still supports XP. Also the link. I've been away this weekend, but will install it tomorrow, and report my results.

(Interestingly, Secunia PSI reports PM 24.x as fully patched on XP, rather than end of life. I don't use PM on Win 7 - yet).

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

October 13th, 2014 05:00

"Secunia PSI reports PM 24.x as fully patched..."

Secunia issued a new advisory for Pale Moonon 2014-10-13; the following has been copied/pasted from http://secunia.com/advisories/60134 :

Some vulnerabilities [at least one of which is rated HIGHLY CRITICAL] have been reported in Pale Moon, where some have an unknown impact and others can be exploited by malicious people to conduct spoofing attacks, disclose potentially sensitive information, and compromise a user's system.

For more information:
SA59236 (#1, #3, #6, #7)
SA61538

1) An error exists related to host derivation within an URL. No further information is currently available.

2) Some errors exist related to the style parser. No further information is currently available.

The vulnerabilities are reported in versions prior to 25.0.0.

Solution:
Upgrade to version 25.0.0.

======================

Remark:   It will be interesting to see what the PSI now reports in terms of Pale Moon under XP.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

October 13th, 2014 13:00

I installed PM 25X for XP from Binary Outcast.

Download of the installer (20 MB) took only a few seconds.

A custom install took only a few minutes, and included no bundled junk. I was not asked to register or provide any personal info. I did not delete 24x, just installed over it. No restart needed.

The browser now reports it is indeed 25.0 (x86) (Help>About Pale Moon). PSI 2.0 also confirms this, and reports it patched and up to date. All settings and extensions were preserved. WOT is still there.

The GUI is identical. No system or browser slowdown. Log in cookies were preserved.

In short, a painless and quick process. Once again, I thank you (and Corrine) for this excellent workaround! I truly think this is the best browser for those still using an XP system.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

October 14th, 2014 04:00

"Secunia PSI reports PM 24.x as fully patched..."

By the time I got around to it... after the above-cited Secunia advisory was published... the PSI indeed indicated that PaleMoon 24.x was "end of life".   I then updated PM to v25, using the Binary Outcast link, and like Joe, had a successful installation, including recognition by PSI that I had the new, up-to-date version.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

October 21st, 2014 09:00

Pale Moon will change its approach of browser identification in the next point release, considering the very wide-spread issues of websites blocking or breaking with Pale Moon 25.0. Please take a minute to read the announcement in full: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6200

No Events found!