Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 18th, 2007 19:00

Norton antivirus

Hi,  my girlfriend has inherited a Dell PC, but it has a brand spanking new and full version of Norton (bought by the previous owner) running on it.  Now, every time she loads the PC up it takes about 1 - 2 minutes after the desktop appears before she can run any programmes because Norton is running a system check.

We are looking for a solution which allows us to use Norton as and when we would like, i.e. if we want a system scan we open Norton and do one ourselves without it running automatically and hogging the CPU usage.  As it is, when I try to disable anything in Norton we get just as many messages as before only now they are telling us Norton is doing nothing and would we like it to start. 

She doesn't want to uninstall it for reasons I will not go into here and my attempts to wean her onto one of the excellent free security programmes has failed miserably. 

So, can we stop Norton being a pest (the last hassle I had like this was with some spyware) or are we doomed to watch the once powerful PC lumber along at an embarassing speed?

As usual any thoughts much appreciated, cheers in advance!

June 18th, 2007 21:00

Norton does open slowly,but you can speed things up a bit by opening the security center and turning off ad blocking.  There is no way to stop the internal security check that Norton makes to check its components on start up.  Leave the firewall in learning mode for two-three days.

4.4K Posts

June 19th, 2007 09:00

We have Norton AV or Security on a number of systems with no delays from any.  However, we do not have automatic scan turned on with each startup.  We tend to do manual scans once a week or two instead. There are many options to click or unclick in the various Norton programs and I suggest you look through the lists for anything that runs an automatic startup or daily scan and consider turning it off. The protection is still there working in the background, just not a scan each time the computer starts.  Not sure why you receive error messages and the like, I am just looking at the small icon (Norton Protection Center) in the taskbar right now with a green check in it and the adjacent Norton AV icon. I just did a reboot and the computer was ready to go in 65 seconds, also loading Zone alarm and SpySweeper among others.

Message Edited by europa303 on 06-19-2007 06:23 AM

June 19th, 2007 14:00

Additionally, slow startup may be due to spy ware or unnecessary programs that start on boot up.

52 Posts

June 20th, 2007 01:00

I sure cant' recommend Norton 360. I purchased it, thinking it would protect me from just about everything. About two weeks ago, I got an email saying a friend had sent us a greeting card (we've gotten them before from gandkids). I opened it nd it was something about mIMR. I deleted it. Then each time I turned on the computer it would pop up right away. The computer began to slow down. I ran Norton scan and it told me there were two Trojans. Needed 'manual assistance \' to remove. It kept me going until it said to call Norton. I did. It was $99.00 to remove the trojans. I thought that was why I purchased the Norton to begin with. Plus that much to remove what it was suppose to do in the first place? I'll not buy Nortons again and I do not recommend the 360 as anti spyware, trojan etc. John D

June 20th, 2007 14:00

John, your message, while interesting, is not really on the subject.  On testing, Norton is always top rate for protection.  You were told about the trojans by your program.  You could have used Symantec many free support alternatives for help removing the trojans.  Also, do not open attachments if you don't clearly know where they originated.  Your Grandchildren may have unwittingly transferred the infection by their own bad practices online. Don't blame Norton/Symantec.

52 Posts

June 20th, 2007 23:00

Lawrence, What is it exactly that I paid Norton for? To tell me I'm infected? They say they PREVENT infections. As to using Symantecs many free supports, just which ones are you talking about. I followed their instructions to the letter. There were no free supports to get rid of the trojans. Where do you find these free supports? Not on the Norton guidelines. From what you say, I shouldn't open any of my e-mails for they may contain viruses or trojans of which Nortons protection does not apply. Why then have Nortons? Should I never open an e-mail? And my failure, I thought the subject was anti-virus programs. And this e-mail was not from my grandkids. It was from one of the 'greetings' outfits that do this type of thing, of which I have received legitimate ones in the past from my kids and grandkids. If I must know exactly who is sending me each e-mail, then that is a very limiting order for the e-mail system. And I do very much blame Norton. I paid them to prevent virus, trojans etc and not only did they fail to do so, but then charged me more money once they failed to do what I had paid them to do.

June 21st, 2007 01:00

John, I don't work for Symantec so I can't really answer all your questions.  I do understand why you are upset.  On the good side, your computer is clean.  Personally, I would dispute your charges with a Symantec manager.  They are outrageous.  Be certain that Norton antispam is active and that Email scanning is active.  In addition, you might want to try Spy Sweeper free for 30 days. ( www.webroot.com ) It will detect much Email and internet malware.  If you use the Email live talk, the technicians will often help.  In addition, posting the name of the Trojan on this forum might have garnered you free help.  I don't think any AV program would have done this better.  If you want "free" IT care, change to Windows Live AV and firewall.  A drawback is that Norton will detect many more infections than Windows Live from microsoft and it has no antispam filtering.
No Events found!