Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

10 Posts

December 30th, 2018 04:00

McAfee Update Notice Disable

Hi - 

I recently bought a G5 with Windows 10, home edition and it came with McAfee installed. 

I do not want anything on my computer automatically connecting to the internet. 

I do not ever want to be notified if I'm "not protected" or if the software isn't updated or if I "need" to run a scan. 

I want all McAfee notices disabled. All of them. 

I'm willing to try their product, so I don't want to uninstall it, but if it doesn't stop pestering me, I'm just going to remove it.

I have now searched the web and tried everything including removing all Task Scheduler items by McAfee, all Windows notice controls, etc. I have also disabled everything in McAfee itself just to see if that stops the annoying notices without luck. 

I don't know what marketing "genius" thought that annoying notices were good for brand awareness, but if I can't shut this program up, it will be the end of my use of any McAfee product in the future and I will make it a point to tell everyone to avoid it. 

Ok, tell me how to force all the McAfee products to quit posting popups, notices, etc. All of them. 

Go!

10 Posts

December 30th, 2018 04:00

Forgot to set email me when replies happen. Tried to go delete this post and repost it and can't find a delete option. Please reply to this reply where I set the email switch. Thanks, Bob

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

December 30th, 2018 18:00

Hi Bob, and welcome to the forum.

I have been posting for many years on this board on internet anti-virus and anti-malware products, and have personally tested most of the major products, both free and paid out there. I also follow independent website organizations that test the efficacy of security software at preventing and removing malware. I have no links or conflicts of interest with the industry.

I have not used McAfee products for many years, and am not familiar with the current suite. Dell has pre-installed it for some time, with no option to opt out of it. I realize that nobody wants to uninstall something they have paid for, but I hear your objections. I can tell you that I have been uninstalling McAfee security on several Dell computers I purchased in recent years (without ever activating the product) as a first course of action, based on my belief that the Windows Defender Security protection that comes free and is included with Windows 10 provides better protection than McAfee. And WD does not nag one unless protection is compromised.

A recent 2018 comparative test of security products was performed by selabs.uk and found that McAfee provided 91% total accuracy protection, compared to  Windows Defender which provided 99% protection.
Source: https://selabs.uk/en/reports/consumers

My best advice to you is to uninstall McAfee, and rely on Windows Defender for Windows 10, which should automatically activate once McAfee is disabled. Since you have activated McAfee, this may prove difficult using the usual Control Panel method. Uninstalling an AV is not a trivial process. You might need to run the McAfee uninstall tool from their website:
http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

This is just my own opinion, but I think you will find the the regular posters on this board will in general agree that McAfee is not a superior product, and that free products (including, but not limited to Windows Defender) are just as effective as the best paid products.

This forum does not allow one to post a personal email address. If you wish to have a forum response notification mailed to your email, you will have to do the following:

1) Sign in with your forum email address and password
2) Click on your icon in the right upper corner of your screen
3) Click on "My settings"
4) On the Email sttings tab, uncheck the option "Don't send me any community emails ".

Good luck.

10 Posts

December 30th, 2018 19:00

Joe53,

Thanks for your response. 

I'd be happy to use the McAfee product if it would just quit pestering me every day several times. I just want someone to tell me how to turn off the pop ups. 

I would have no problem totally uninstalling the product and installing another which my experience shows doesn't bother me all the time. 

Thanks,

Bob

10 Posts

December 30th, 2018 20:00

Joe53 -

Thanks. I already have. Appreciate your response.

Bob

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

December 30th, 2018 20:00

I hear what you are asking, Bob.

I doubt you will get any useful replies about McAfee Security in this forum. Although Dell preinstalls it, I don't know of any regular posters on this board that use or recommend it.

I would suggest you ask your questions in the McAfee forum:
https://community.mcafee.com/t5/SecurityCenter/bd-p/security-center

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

December 31st, 2018 12:00

Two things...

1. Register your Dell-installed McAfee subscription at the McAfee site before you uninstall it. That way you'll be able to reinstall it for free in the future, should you decide you want it back.
  2. Google is your friend! And read the "People also ask" box on that page.  :Wink:

10 Posts

January 1st, 2019 15:00

Hi - 

After many days of useless, pestering, bothersome popup notices that are apparently impossible to disable and having requested help both on the Dell and the McAfee community forums with no joy; having investigated Windows defender and found that it does nearly as good a job as the McAfee product, I finally simply removed McAfee from my system. 

The internet is full of similar complaints as mine going back for years. McAfee is surely aware of these complaints and refuses to respond. I will never use one of their products again.

Bob

10 Posts

January 1st, 2019 17:00

Hi RoHe -

No, but I'm aware it exists. I'm a programmer and know Windows systems. If I stumble across any vestiges of their stuff, I'll get rid of it. Thanks for the heads up.

Bob

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

January 1st, 2019 17:00

Did you run the McAfee removal tool (MCPR) to get rid of every last trace of their software?

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

January 1st, 2019 20:00

Thanks for the feedback on your resolution, Bob. I don't think you will regret your decision.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 31st, 2019 10:00

"I do not want anything on my computer automatically connecting to the internet."

Well windows 10 REQUIRES connection to the internet to keep windows activated.

You need to run Mcafee Removal Tool. 

1. Download the MCPR tool.
  2. Double-click MCPR.exe.
  3. If you see a security warning:

Click Yes, Continue, or Run (depending on your version of Windows):

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 31st, 2019 11:00

This thread is almost one year old, but floated to the top of the forum again because a spam post was made here today...now deleted and the spammer banned...

Consider this thread closed...

No Events found!