Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

January 20th, 2017 11:00

Malwarebytes Premium and McAfee

I am setting up a new Dell XPS 8910 desktop. I noticed that Dell Support Assist is displaying a message that says "You have more than one antivirus enabled. This can lead to conflicts."   I have both the paid version of McAfee (which came with the computer) and the paid version of Malwarebytes.  Any advice? 

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

January 20th, 2017 11:00

If you're talking MBAM 2.x , I wouldn't be concerned at all.

If it's MBAM 3.x , there's a lot of confusion about it.  On the one hand, they assert it's robust enough so as to be able to replace an antivirus [if one so wishes]... while at the same time, emphasizing it's NOT actually an antivirus (in the traditional sense), meaning that it can be used to supplement any antivirus, without causing conflicts.   Hmmm.

Does the Windows Action Center also report a conflict?   Or just the Dell Support Assist?

Do you actually notice any slowdown on your system?   For example, on two machines where I quickly tested MBAM 3, it was obvious that nothing else could be done with MBAM running, so I had no choice but to disable its realtime protection.   In contrast, Joe is using it successfully.   If everything appears to be running normally for you, I would stick with both, and ignore Dell Support (assuming that's allowable).

I know this isn't a real answer, but hopefully it will be helpful.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

January 20th, 2017 14:00

Your answer is very helpful. I do have the MBAM 3.x version.  Under Security and Maintenance>Virus Protection it says "Multiple antivirus apps are turned on and up to date. Note that running more than one AV app at the same time can cause your PC to run slowly."  I haven't noticed any slowness however I am just in the setting up mode. Right now I will continue to run both-especially since both are paid versions.  I also have a new laptop with Norton and I will have to check to see if this is reported using Norton on the laptop.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

January 20th, 2017 17:00

The same thing happens with Norton on another brand new computer.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

January 21st, 2017 09:00

Annie, if both computers are running Dell Support Assist, and that is where the report is coming from, if I were you, I'd ignore it.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

January 21st, 2017 11:00

Bugbatter-The second computer is a new HP Envy laptop and like the Dell it too shows a conflict under Security and Maintenance.  On the laptop I am using Norton with a paid version of Malwarebytes. On the Dell 8010 Desktop the same things shows both on Dell Support Assist and under Security and Maintenance. So far I have ignored this.  Has MAM been changed so much that these conflicts are now showing?  

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

January 21st, 2017 14:00

KY##1...interesting. I currently have version 3.05. I hope it updates automatically soon. I just had to reinstall because it keeps loosing my key and reverting me back to the free version.   

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

January 21st, 2017 14:00

Annie,

I've just read where one user reported that MB v3.0.6 is no longer registering itself in the Action Center.   I have NOT personally confirmed this... it's up to you if you want to try, or just keep what you have.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

January 21st, 2017 17:00

" Has MAM been changed so much that these conflicts are now showing? "

They are always updating and tweaking things. I'm using 3.0.5 Pro without problems on Windows 10 Pro. All my computers are Lenovos. None of them use McAfee or Norton. I wonder if the Norton/Dell, etc. software is simply alerting you of a possible problem because it is seeing another AV installed (as MBAM now includes one) and doesn't know that MBAM is compatible.
Have you tried asking your question on the Malwarebytes forum?  At least that way if it is a real problem, they will make a note of it and fix it.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

January 21st, 2017 21:00

I now have Malwarebytes Premium 3.0.5 installed on my Dell laptop running Win 10 Pro, with Panda Free AV running also. (I didn't install the 3.0.6 because that is currently a preview, not a final release).

So far, no problems. But I see what Annie is saying. I'm not getting any obnoxious alerts, but if I check Security and Maintenance, it does list both Panda and Malwarebytes as installed AVs. It does note that "running more than one AV at the same time can cause your PC to run slowly". I never did activate Dell SupportAssist, but I fired it up just now and sure enough, it lists both AVs as active, and says that "more than one AV can lead to conflicts".

I take both of these as good generic advice that probably does not apply here. I've been using Malwarebytes 3 with another AV running on 2 systems for some time now without slowdowns or conflicts. Plus Malwarebytes says it is compatible to run with another AV, as it uses a different technology than traditional AVs use. So I'll ignore the advice from Dell SupportAssist and continue to use both, until such time as I get any grief. I am very reluctant to disable my other AV and rely solely on Malwarebytes protection, since it has no proven record as an AV.

And if Dell's SupportAssist starts to nag me, I'll deactivate (or uninstall) it. Over the years Dell has preloaded a lot of software utilities, variously called "Support" or "assistant" or "Help" or similar, meant to be troubleshooters. I've never found any of them particularly helpful, and never missed them when they were gone.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

January 22nd, 2017 08:00

I haven't been to the MAM forum as yet however will check out the forum soon. I did e- mail Malwarebytes directly and currently waiting for a reply. 

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

January 22nd, 2017 17:00

"Can Malwarebytes 3.0 run alongside Symantec or McAfee?
Certainly! We built Malwarebytes 3.0 to be compatible with all major anti-virus software, even Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials. In fact by default Malwarebytes 3.0 installs in compatible mode alongside Defender, MSE or third-party antivirus products."

This is a quote from the MAM site.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

January 25th, 2017 11:00

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe version MB 3.06 has been officially released... if so, you can check to see if, as alleged, that fixes the conflict with the Action Center and/or Dell Support.

If not, as both BB and I have suggested/indicated, I would just ignore the messages about a conflict, as long as your system is running well (to the best of your knowledge).

But here's something you can try if the warning message really bothers you:   Open MB, click on SETTINGS, APPLICATION, scroll down to Windows Action Center, and choose (the 2nd option) NEVER Register MalwareBytes in the Windows Action Center.   If I'm understanding this correctly, MBAM will continue to function normally, only that the messages of it conflicting with other products (like McAfee) should no longer be generated.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

January 25th, 2017 15:00

Malwarebytes 3.06 is not coming through automatic updates yet. When it does I will post back.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

January 25th, 2017 16:00

Malwarebytes v. 3.0.6.1469 has indeed just been released. You can read about the fixes and improvements, and download link here:
forums.malwarebytes.com/.../

I just downloaded and installed over the 3.0.5 without any problems. (I was too impatient to wait for the new version to be pushed out by the program).

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

January 27th, 2017 06:00

On my XPS 8910, Malwarebytes 3.06 came through the automatic updates.  The conflicts are no longer showing in Dell Support Assist or Security and Maintenance in the Control Panel. It looks like the problem was fixed with this new update/version.  

No Events found!