Start a Conversation

Unsolved

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

October 12th, 2020 18:00

MS Updates Advice from Woody

"Some people believe that you need to get new Windows and Office patches installed the minute they roll out the Windows Update chute. Those who snooze get bit by malware, or so the theory goes ...

But for the vast majority of Windows users, waiting a couple of weeks to get the latest patches applied doesn’t hurt a bit -- and it gives Microsoft a chance to fix the bugs they invariably introduce."

Full read:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3584762/as-patch-tuesday-nears-be-sure-windows-update-is-paused.html

Comment:
I totally agree with Woody on this. I have been delaying MS updates for years with no adverse effects. I eventually get all the updates, but avoid being a beta tester.
YMMV

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 13th, 2020 16:00

Is there any way to block non-Microsoft updates that are pushed by Windows Update in Win 10?

I keep getting Samsung updates to use my cell phone as a modem for my desktop via USB. I don't want/need it.

And every time one of these Samsung modem updates gets installed, I end up with USB problems. There's nothing visible anywhere that I can find for these updates except on the WU History screen.  Sooner or later, I have to do a System Restore to get rid of it, at least until WU forces it on me again...

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

October 13th, 2020 17:00

Sorry,Ron but I have no info or experience with MS pushing non- MS updates.

But I am not surprised as the cloud continues to force software on us, all in the purpose of reaping big data. To my mind, this is the biggest threat on the network today (not malware). 

No Events found!