Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2012 18:00

Is it safe to store your data at Google ?

Interesting video. Waiting to hear Joe's opinion :emotion-18:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SCZzgfdTBo&feature=youtu.be

I know it does not have to do with AVs and such, but to have your data safe as backup or a way to restore your sys has become more and more important than any antimalware you might have installed. Also this form of backing up data has become more fashionable than ever. I would like to say that I relay more on some kind of drive that I have handy and safe right beside me in my desktop drawer.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

May 15th, 2012 19:00

Interesting video, Hernan. You know my opinion of Google software, so I will address instead my thoughts on backing up data on the internet in general.

But first, a little personal background. Over a decade ago, Dell partnered with Homestead, a website provider, and offered free website storage at Dell.Homestead. This was a time when many frm the old Dell Scratchpad forum were into graphics and java applets. We all "backed up" our data there. One day, without any notice, this website just disappeared, along with all our files. Taught me a good lesson, which I set to music back in 2001:
http://naut.homestead.com/files/waltzing/waltzing.html

Since that day, I have never trusted the internet as a sole repository for my files/data. If Dell could lose my files, anyone could.

My current philosophy is:

1) Keep a copy of all important files locally (on CDs, DVDs, external HDs)
2) Backup all non-sensitive files on the internet if you wish, but don't rely on them alone.
3) Don't backup any sensitive data on the internet (Passwords, ID or other personal info)

1K Posts

May 16th, 2012 05:00

Thanks Joe for sharing your experience with us.

...One day, without any notice, this website just disappeared, along with all our files. Taught me a good lesson, which I set to music back in 2001:
http://naut.homestead.com/files/waltzing/waltzing.html

Since that day, I have never trusted the internet as a sole repository for my files/data. If Dell could lose my files, anyone could.

Exactly my concerns. What if...anything and then my files are not there anymore.

My current philosophy is:

1) Keep a copy of all important files locally (on CDs, DVDs, external HDs)
2) Backup all non-sensitive files on the internet if you wish, but don't rely on them alone.
3) Don't backup any sensitive data on the internet (Passwords, ID or other personal info)

I agree with you totally.  Thanks again.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

May 16th, 2012 06:00

I just don't feel comfortable with putting any more personal info "out there" than is already available. I use a WD external hard drive as a backup to everything. One of these days I will have to sit down and read the manual about how to get if back if a restoral is ever necessary. :emotion-15:

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

May 16th, 2012 07:00

Good discussion.

I don't use online backup unless I have other copies:
My policy is to have 3 copies on 2 different media with 1 of them stored offsite. It's inconvenient to keep them all updated, but a couple of times I was glad I did.
* Note: The original is not considered a copy.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

May 16th, 2012 14:00

An interesting study:

Study: On the Security of Cloud Storage Services

The security of cloud storage services is often inadequate. This is the result of a study by the Fraunhofer Institute for Secure Information Technology, that tested various providers. Conclusion: none of the providers were able to fulfill all of the security requirements, and some of them were even lacking proper encryption. In addition to technical shortcomings, the testers also found weaknesses in relation to user guidanc

http://www.sit.fraunhofer.de/en.html

1K Posts

May 17th, 2012 16:00

Thank you Joe for the report, but 140 something pages its a bit too much to read in one sitting :emotion-4:. I still like to read paper pages, haven't got used to the screen for long readings :emotion-7: 

No Events found!