Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 10th, 2008 20:00

I think my Inspiron1521 has a virus.

I made the mistake of downloading Windows One Care.:womansad:.,it made a mess of my computer.It dumped some files,I couldnt get on the internet with my wifi etc.I did a systems restore and couldnt get One Care out of Computer.,hidden files I guess.So I did a factory restore since this is a new laptop and I am still having problems.It takes 3-5 hours to do a McAfee scan.I cannot download other antivirus programs.Something is pegging my CPU's and its mostly McAfee thats running it high.Would I be better off just taking to Geek Squad?Thanks for any input.Hope you all have a super day!:smileyvery-happy:

20.5K Posts

September 10th, 2008 21:00

If your laptop is new, did you try calling Dell support?

8 Posts

September 11th, 2008 10:00

Hi Bugbatter,yes,I tried calling Dell and they said they couldnt help me that I should try calling Microsoft.I noticed on another thread where you helped someone else about the Malware download and I tried to download and that one downloaded ok,I ran it and that didnt pick up anything either.Thanks for asking.

20.5K Posts

September 11th, 2008 12:00

Why did you download OneCare to begin with? Was it because you thought you had a virus? If that is the case, perhaps the files OneCare "dumped" were infected. They may need to be replaced. I'm only guessing because I have no idea what changes were made to the system.

If the problem started with OneCare, that is a Microsoft product, so contact them and let them know. If they can't fix it, a reformat/reinstall of Windows may be a good idea.

5.8K Posts

September 11th, 2008 20:00

Just a thought, but did you use the "Clean Up" function of OneCare?

This is essentially a registry editor, which most experts advise against using, precisely because of problems they can cause. Its inclusion in OneCare was controversial, with some experts advising users of OneCare to avoid running Clean Up:
http://www.technologyquestions.com/technology/windows-xp/224205-windows-live-onecare-clean-up-scanner.html

I realize this info won't help with your problem, but post for the benefit of other readers of this thread.

20.5K Posts

September 11th, 2008 22:00

Unless this is you, you're not the only one with the problem:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=308223&messageID=2855789

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

September 11th, 2008 23:00

jnwmom wrote:  "I downloaded one care thinking it was a good idea to have 2 antivirus for computer

protection and MacAfee..."

running two [resident] antivirus programs is NOT a good idea... i wonder if that was a contributing factor to your

fiasco???

8 Posts

Hey Bugbatter...,Nope that wasnt me..,I know alot of people were complaining on the Live One Care Forums and they usually got deleted as soon as they were posted.Thanks for posting that link,I appreciate it.As soon as I have time to get it to a best buy I will let u know what they say.Its a nasty virus I guess.Thanks again and appreciate you helping me and other people out.

8 Posts

I downloaded one care thinking it was a good idea to have 2 antivirus for computer protection and mcafee wasnt catching all the virus's,thats what I get for thinking lol.I tried to contact one care and couldnt get a response from them at all..,I also tried to call Microsoft for tech help and it cost too much money to get over the phone tech help.I know there were alot of people having massive problems with it.Thanks

8 Posts

Hi Joe,I probably did,dont quite remember.But I remember asking Windows Live One Care for help and if anyone complained on the forum about the problems it was causing,they got deleted.I could not get help from any of them.I will just take this to Geek Squad and have them fix it for me.I appreciate everyones help,thank you so much.

20.5K Posts

I'm not so sure it was a virus that caused that. There was the problem with two anti-virus applications "fighting" with each other. You know better than to do that now, though.

Geek Squad will probably reformat/reinstall Windows. Don't let them sell you anything new. If you have any questions about security software, let us know.

8 Posts

September 12th, 2008 05:00

Thanks Bugbatter and I wont.When I installed the One Care,it did say that I had the Mcafee installed and would not be compatable with Mcafee and asked if I wanted to remove it through One Care and I clicked yes,so it was my understanding that One Care uninstalled Mcafee and then installed One Care.Believe me..,you are soooooo right I learned an expensive lesson on this one.I will let u know what the geeks tell me lol.You are so kind,I appreciate all you do.

8 Posts

September 13th, 2008 13:00

Hi Ky331,

As I stated in other responses to this,When I downloaded One Care,it said it had to uninstall McAfee before the download of One Care and One Care uninstalled Mcafee.I know that with Vista there are certain antivirus' that are not compatable with each other.And after I did the factory restore,I thought that would have taken care of the problem,but it didnt.Thanks so much for your time and help,I really appreciate it.

20.5K Posts

September 13th, 2008 14:00

Considering how OneCare sometimes incompletely removes malware, I would question whether or not it completely removed McAfee. There is a special removal tool to uninstall McAfee after using Add/Remove programs. It would have been better to manually uninstall McAfee, run the tool to clean up the remnants, reboot, and then install OneCare.

8 Posts

September 14th, 2008 01:00

Hi again Bugbatter,yep I did that as well as instructed by One Care.I went to the URL windows provided to completely remove all of Mcafee.And then installed One Care.
No Events found!