Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2006 21:00

Avira Antivirus

Hey everyone, I just recently purchased an Inspiron 6400 and it came with Mcafee Antivirus, I never acknowledged the messages that were popping up because I was just gonna uninstall and get AVG.  Then a few days ago Avira Antivirus popped up and was asking if I'd like to scan my laptop.  I was confused because I had never downloaded that program and when I looked for Mcafee, it's not under programs, it was remvoved from the menu bar and nowhere to be found.  I thought it was kind of weird, anyone ever experience this or know what's going on?  I'm a newbie so please be easy on me!  Thanks...

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

November 8th, 2006 21:00

Avira offers a legitimate anti-virus product, named AntiVir.

going on a "hunch" here:  does anyone else have access to your machine? ---
if so, is it possible that they downloaded/installed AntiVir, and removed the McAfee??

2 Posts

November 9th, 2006 01:00

I'm the only one using the computer, my mom doesn't even know how to turn it on!  I thought someone hacked into my system and gave me a virus making me think Avira was legit, but that's me being paranoid.  It's just bugging me that it was installed but I didn't do it and also the Mcafee disappearing.  Does anyone know if Dell supplies Avira Antivirus with their systems?  Any help appreciated, thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

November 9th, 2006 13:00

I suggest you generate and post a HiJackThis log, per directions below.   This may show us what's going on with your system... if McAfee is truly gone... if AntiVir has in fact been installed:

Download a self-extracting copy of the latest version of HJT (HiJackThis) (version 1.99.1) from
Save it to your Desktop.
Double-click on the file    hijackthis_sfx.exe    file, and allow it to self-extract [by clicking on UnZip] into the suggested/default folder,
C:\Program Files\HijackThis

Use Windows Explorer to navigate your way into this folder, and then double click on HiJackThis. exe

Click on  Do a System Scan and Save a LogFile

This will automatically open NotePad

Copy the entire file from NotePad:  EDIT/SelectAll, EDIT/Copy

Then go to the new forum dedicated for HiJack This logs (**NOT** back here), and  PASTE the results there:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=si_hijack

Be sure to include a detailed description of the  problems that you're having, as the people in the other forum may not read this thread.

Hopefully, one of the HJT experts will get to it as quickly as possible.

WARNING:  HiJack This is a VERY POWERFUL tool.  While it's  completely safe  for you to download, generate, and post your log (as described above), you should *NOT* attempt to do anything else (in particular, do NOT use it to delete/fix any entries) until you are advised to do so by a forum expert!!   Improper use of this tool can severely damage your system.
No Events found!