Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2013 12:00

AdwCleaner

I used AdwCleaner once to get rid of a Malware, it did the job but it made me feel very uneasy to use it. Joe you explained your problem very well, it was informative and in depth. I'm wondering if AdwCleaner is a program that is advisable to run once in a while. If so, what link would you recommend to down load the program from? I try to be careful in down loading 3rd party programs that you don't get items that are undesirable. Anyone else have any recommendation on using Adwcleaner?

1 Message

December 30th, 2013 13:00

Hello,

I am unsure of where you downloaded AdwCleaner. I would recommend against using things that could only be downloaded from sourceforge because their items are not always vetted.

I would recommend paid products from "well respected" U.S based companies if you have concerns about security, and source of software.

This would eliminate "added value" disreputable internet organizations may throw in at your expense.

Be safe....

20.5K Posts

December 30th, 2013 16:00

Hi Evermore,

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to run AdwCleaner once in a while as long as you use an updated copy. It produces a log via the Search option so that you can have someone review it if you have any questions.

The link that I recommend downloading AdwCleaner from is:  http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/finish/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner

Happy New Year!

5.8K Posts

December 30th, 2013 16:00

I don't run AdwCleaner on a regular basis when all is well. My philosophy is to not look for trouble - it will find you soon enough. And all scanners have the potential for false positives. That said, the few times I have run AdwCleaner it has performed admirably, and I can't recall any false positive detections.

I get it from bleepingcomputer, which includes usage instructions:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

December 31st, 2013 06:00

I have rarely (if ever) used AdwCleaner.  Just out of curiosity, I downloaded it and ran a scan.   It found several entries, just about all of which were related to Yahoo! Toolbar, which I have intentionally installed, and use regularly [my choice to do so].

However, I don't believe any of the entries in AdwCleaner overtly/explicitly mentioned Yahoo Toolbar by name; rather, it listed ClassID numbers, which, via internet searching, I concluded were associated with Yahoo Toolbar.   Had I not taken the time to perform these searches, and simply CLEANed whatever was found, I would have lost my wanted toolbar.

Just saying, even this clearer needs to be used with some caution.

20.5K Posts

December 31st, 2013 07:00

That is why it is preferable to have someone review the log of what is found before cleaning.

338 Posts

December 31st, 2013 08:00

Thanks everyone for the good advise. I get the message. I probably won't use it unless I need to.

No Events found!